Skip to content

Lag spikes every 10-15 seconds.

It's getting hard to do incursion recently. I thought the problem was my network, but someone named Reon asks me if I'm experiencing the same and he described that he's been experiencing the same thing I did. I asked around in the NEWBIE and they said it's mostly felt while flying. If the server right now is not experiencing some kind of DDOS attack, it could be the recent changes. Or perhaps, the numbers of players growing? I would send an ISSUE but I felt like it should be here as any ISSUEs made there will be dealt with after three weeks and I felt that this is something that requires immediate attention.
I'm Vianou, by the way.

Comments

• I'm having the same issue, both on the ground and in space.  It's making the game completely unplayable, fairly regularly.  I really hope the cause can be identified and fixed soon.
  • edited January 2019
    I get it both when hunting and in space, every 10-15s get a 1-2s+ spike. This is more noticeable in space than on the ground, but I have died a few times on the ground due to this, i.e, mob does windup when spike hits, come back dead. 
  • I thought the lag was on my side. I have rebooted everything PC/Router/Firewall and still I am getting the lag
  • It’s probably something to do with the additional assets in space, clouds and asteroids alike.

I run 300mbps internet and my pc is hardwired and was experiencing the same thing as you guys.

So it’s definitly something server side.

im sure they will fix it eventually and I just had to be careful and turn my hunting script to one at a time and manually target to stop myself from getting overwhelmed.
  • Nothing server-side, we did have some issues outside of our network yesterday that was on Spectrum's backbone through Chicago (where our servers are hosted). 
  • I wonder if its location based? I have a 350MB link and nothing else is spiking. I am in the UK
  • Ohio here and I was experiencing it but I’m currently not connected so I’ll let you know when I get home.
  • From Philippines here and connected right now. My ping is a bit unstable right now, lowering from 259 and rising up to 624.
    I'm Vianou, by the way.
  • edited January 2019
    Lol, at times it rises up to 2798.
    I'm Vianou, by the way.
  • edited January 2019
    I am from the UK, have zero issues with other IRE Games, latancy normally stays around 105-120ms, until the _spike_.

Example of a normal ping to starmourn:

Ping statistics for 67.202.114.10:
        Packets: Sent = 14934, Received = 14926, Lost = 8 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 99ms, Maximum = 245ms, Average = 100ms

Where as in-game, I get lag spikes of 1-2s every 10-20s.
  • yip I keep getting lag spikes of 2500 or more now it seems to be getting worse over time for me
  • It's clearly noticeable in space, where there's regular delays in rendering the space map. This can make positioning your ship more difficult.
  • Also been having this problem...

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
    |                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
    |------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
    |                              [removed]  -    0 |   40 |   40 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |                   No response from host -  100 |    9 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |                               [removed] -    0 |   40 |   40 |    8 |   11 |   22 |   12 |<br>|                               [removed] -    0 |   40 |   40 |   13 |   17 |   28 |   17 |<br>|                   No response from host -  100 |    9 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |                   No response from host -  100 |    9 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
    |     NOZONE-INC.ear2.Chicago2.Level3.net -    0 |   40 |   40 |   55 |   58 |   86 |   56 |
    |        te9-2.dist01.chi18.steadfast.net -    0 |   40 |   40 |   56 |   61 |  112 |   63 |
    | ip10.67-202-114.static.steadfastdns.net -    0 |   40 |   40 |   56 |   59 |   68 |   59 |
    |________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
    Doesn't seem to be my internet....
  • Tecton said:
    Nothing server-side, we did have some issues outside of our network yesterday that was on Spectrum's backbone through Chicago (where our servers are hosted). 
    You sure about that? I observed some real weird shit happening: a fury's followup attack appearing after you get balance back and similar mixups of the usual order of things. Looks like a server-side issue to me.
  • Hops 3-6 for the NA test there were leaving the test servers' local network, everything else was under 100. Does look like there might be something going on with backbone servers still. Might just be regular attenuation though.
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • edited January 2019
    Had weird ~2.5sec spikes last night during space flight and hiccups with receiving the space map - it sometimes wouldn't come through. I thought it might have been due to so many asteroids on the personal map, because the spikes seemed to hit around the time all the asteroids moved, but it happened when there weren't any as well. The missing map issue seemed to only happen when there were asteroids on the map... so that could have been something different? Thinking the lag was server-side because rather than moving 3 spaces (9 at full throttle) during a spike, as would happen if the server was still kicking and had me moving, there was no catch up once the connection recovered. It was as if the game froze for those ~2.5sec.
  • edited January 2019
    Cubey said:
    Tecton said:
    Nothing server-side, we did have some issues outside of our network yesterday that was on Spectrum's backbone through Chicago (where our servers are hosted). 
    You sure about that? I observed some real weird shit happening: a fury's followup attack appearing after you get balance back and similar mixups of the usual order of things. Looks like a server-side issue to me.
    Yeah, it's been messing up our combos, ugh.
  • edited January 2019
    I've noticed it particularly when tethering asteroids (and fighting incursions, of course). They also tend to move during those spikes, which made me think that the spikes were caused by every asteroid in the sector (there are a freaking ton of these right now) moving at the same time. Incidentally, I've had much fewer noticeable issues with the spikes in the last day and a half personally.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I'm from the UK and experiencing the same thing. In space and on land - It's gotten to the point where I've had to stop hunting, so I don't end up dying.

• There was an issue with asteroids, as @Qitorien assumed, that was causing a bit of lag. We fixed it a couple of days back.
  • Tecton said:
    Ooh neat. I didn't know your servers and I were neighbors! This means I should be getting the lowest ping, right? :tongue:
    Character: Edon
    Race: Elgan
    Class: Engineer