Skip to content

Character Inspiration

This one's pretty straight-forward so I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen a thread for it. If I missed it, uh, oops? What mainly inspired your character? Historical figures, characters from other fiction, whatever. I'll start.

Slander is based off of a character named Meat I made for a game called Rifts years ago. If you aren't familiar, Rifts is a tabletop RPG where the setting can basically be summarized as 'Post-apocalyptic sci-fi Earth but also all universes intersect.' So there's dragons and wizards and cyborgs that would make Bushraki look weak in comparison, all as player characters. Anyway, Meat was a Crazy (yes, that's a class, because Rifts is ridiculous) and that meant she had nanotech brain implants that exacerbated mental illness but also made her a superhuman ninja with minor psionic abilities. I was the GM of that game so Meat was an NPC that didn't get fleshed out but early on I thought Slander would be a fun way to incorporate aspects into a PC.
I'm gone.

Comments

• I created a future-self alien mary-sue because this is actually where I want to live.
  • I made mine up as I was making him actually. Not sure where or what inspired me.
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • I also made mine up while I was creating him. Phorith eventually became Space-McCree by the time I hit the actual game.
  • No real inspiration. Just wanted to create a semi-pacifist tree-man who likes to tinker with mechanisms and is passionate about the environment.
  • I watched the new She-Ra and was inspired by Entrapta. Such a fun character.
  • edited January 2019
    Fy's character concept went like this:
    What if we took a badass space cowboy, and instead replaced them with a dorky lizard with very little self-confidence? Also let's make him tiny! Write a backstory, and done. Let's go play!
  • Fyrel said:
    Fy's character concept went like this:
    What if we took a badass space cowboy, and instead replaced them with a dorky lizard with very little self-confidence? Also let's make him tiny! Write a backstory, and done. Let's go play!
    This reminded me of a Spelljammer game I sat in on one time where my friend's character was a gunslinging velociraptor that spoke like Mark Twain.
    I'm gone.
  • I was sure I was going to play a human rogue, but then I saw the Jin soldier picture.  She was too cool not to play. Death worship & void kith seemed like the right combination, so Nanoseer.  I was all set to have her be very zen, until the first time she drove herself to her knees with insanity. So, now she's a bit fallen. There was some conversation on comms about someone killing Jin on the Ark, and I decided that's where her family was. So father, mother and little sister still living on the Ark.  Her parents wanted her to be a soldier and were a bit put off when she embraced nanotech instead and changed her name. Poet is something she adopted for herself.

She's still a work in progress to be honest. I'm still figuring out what makes her tick, and just exactly how crazy she really is. 
    [Cassandra]: Poet will be unsurprised to learn that she has unread news.
  • I am the inspiration for my own character :)
  • Is your character the same Djay Rom from that story you guys were doing on the forums, or somebody else? @Jerom
  • Squeakums said:
    Is your character the same Djay Rom from that story you guys were doing on the forums, or somebody else? @Jerom
    Hah, no, not at all. You could tell I was running out of ideas to name that character. My Starmourn character is less of an asshole than Djay-Rom is. Much less. Or at least, I like to think so.
  • edited January 2019
    Zack was a character I made for a GURPS sci-fi game where he was an orphan (his parents exploded, and the trauma reversed into thinking that was really cool) who did explosives work for gangs then begged to join a mercenary crew to get away from the law. I always played him like a goof (mishearing instructions, and at one point needing to throw a grenade but it went way off because he wasn't wearing his glasses). He got a happy ending in that game when he saved up his dirty money, left the crew, and started an innocent life getting a higher education.
    In Starmourn I was tempted to be a Scoundrel, but I decided on the 'post-university' path and went for an Engineer instead :)
    wandering star punk

• I feel like are a lot of lore similarities between Starmourn and Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, especially for the human side of things, so my character ended up having several similarities to Ozzie Isaacs.
  • A long time ago, I had a D&D character by the name of Althea Besse. They had a lot going on, and this one time they accidentally punched a commoner so hard that the commoner exploded (was like 180+ damage from rolling a 1 on an attempt to intimidate by destroying the wall beside them)

Then I made Althea as a Street Samurai in Shadowrun, and that was really fun, until they got into some really bad stuff and ended up taken over by a toxic spirit.

Well, when Althea became Nykara, and Nykara hit Starmourn, drugs happened. Really hard drugs. So this is my favorite D&D/SHRun character ON DRUGS. 
  • edited January 2019
    Ludwig is loosely based off of a scoundrel-type character I used to LARP as. The biggest change that I made was taking her lawlessness out of the equation but keeping her personality about the same. Like the LARP character, she was very loyal to her 'family', enjoyed solitude (she was head of the explorer corp), and interested in resources. 

The name was an entire accident since I was trying to roll up a male human named Ludwig but accidentally made him a her and decided to roll with it. Because of that, Ludwig became an orphan that was named by a non-binary that gave her a 'pretty human name'. Chose to randomly select a faction and now she was a dedicated Songster.

Boom! Done!

ETA- This was my LARP character-

• I had this idea of a W'hoorn who had been a child during the Angel's Revolution, looked up to all those who had fought and believed strongly in her ideals. I changed that to a 22 year old headstrong dude, who started off thinking that's what he believed, but through his progression in the main quest, investing in scary corporations and getting way too easily annoyed by politics, quickly drifted off course.

It's fun.  B)
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.