Skip to content

The Ideas Thread

Comments

• Could we please have hacking ranks show up in honours?

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Currently Dynasties can set a second founder, but the second founder doesn't show up on the dynasty list. I would like it if this was changed.

So let's say John Smith is the first founder and Jane Smith is the second founder of the Smith Dynasty. It could show up like:

---------------------------------< Dynasties >---------------------------------
    Name       Members        Leader                                Founder
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smith       5                    John Smith         Smith         John and Jane Smith

— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• The instakills of all classes should work on denizens.
  • It'd be nice to have a CONFIG SHOWDAMAGETAKEN ON/OFF to see how much damage each attack does to us. I don't want to be bothered of doing the math myself...
  • Can TAKEOFF TO # and STATION TRANSFER TO # be consolidated and aliased to one another fully? Right now TAKEOFF LIST already aliases to STATION TRANSFER LIST if you're in a transfer hub, but the MXP link fails to recognize the syntax.

While we're at it, can we get STATION TRANSFER <arg> and TAKEOFF <arg> as well, and/or the ability to use the destination name instead of the number?
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • edited January 2019
    BUG RETRACT and IDEA RETRACT would be rad. I've had both a bug and an idea that've long since been dealt with that I'd love to remove from the list (and have also commented on stating they've been dealt with).

Thanks, Iorwerth!
    Feraluna has called for the honoring of Razzy for the following reason: somehow setting Reynolds on fire, killing someone, and then calling for her own besmirching.
  • Razzy said:
    BUG RETRACT and IDEA RETRACT would be rad. I've had both a bug and an idea that've long since been dealt with that I'd love to remove from the list (and have also commented on stating they've been dealt with).
    It's possible to resolve your own bugs using
    BUG <#> RESOLVE <resolution>

But only if you're the filer.
  • As important as the class heals are, is there any chance we could get their cooldowns in gmcp like we wetwiring and standard balance?
  • edited January 2019
    Idea withdrawn!
  • edited January 2019
    I'd like an AFK flag that we can toggle on/off with a custom message.

I know we're not generally meant to sit around idling, but there's times when I need to take a 15 minute break from the computer and don't want to leave in the middle of an heated FT debate or something — sudden phonecall, getting the door, RL emergency, etc. Or I'm not taking a break at all, but I've tabbed out of the main window to work on my system for a bit, and don't want to disconnect just to fix it.

Some kind of flag that will temporarily remove me from qw/who, set an idle flag next to my name on FT, and provide a custom return message if someone sends me a tell. E.g.: [Mindsim]: Kestrel's MindSim is currently idle, and returns the following message: working on reflexes. That first part could be custom based on the type of Mindsim you've chosen, like maybe Zneer will say the character is probably avoiding you and no wonder you have no friends. Mavis on the other hand will apologise for the inconvenience. etc.

To prevent abuse: you can't toggle it in combat, shortly after combat, or while holding someone else's INR. It's automatically removed if you send any command, and you get a cooldown of 5 minutes before you can set it again if you do so.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• saturnine said:
    It's not huge or pressing but this has been bothering me. Nexus has that character panel that displays affs/defs and the outline changes based on gender, but non-binary just defaults to beefy man. Could we either get nb its own illustration or, failing that, allow a choice of which? 
    So my request is a bit more greedy/selfish than this one and definitely low priority; it isn't on the same level as feeling misgendered/misrepresented in the character display thing. Buuuut ...

I play a cisgendered alien species ... Shen. And well, they look quite a bit different to normal humans, which is what those gender-specific icons represent.

Rather than having just the default options, I'd really love the ability to select a custom artwork within a certain size. I just changed my Nexus avatar today to a Shen face and if I could have a Shen body to match that'd be cool as fuck.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• Can I get some kind of toolbag as an Engineer? I don't really like the idea of carting everything around in my inventory. 

Is it possible to get some sort of quest log? Maybe I'm a nerd, but I like the idea of checking off which quests I've done. They're numbered so, you know… makes me wonder what I'm missing.
  • I just want the text for when I put my piece in my holster and when I remove it to be, well, better. Something like *Hurbacious holsters his PIECE* and *Hurbacious draws his PIECE from his holster*
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • Why do we have the human model anyway when we don't actually use it...?
  • I could do this manually client side, person by person, but could we please have a nice handy CONFIG option to set a colour for our allies on the qw list? I don't really use the allies system for combat purposes, I use it to mark people I have fun RPing with so I can see when they're online and stuff. And I would also like maybe a way to locate mutual allies from afar, like to see their current location on the who list or just some easy command that lets me see their vNum/area. E.g.:

find Tecton
    Tecton is at v1234 (Malice Nightclub — the Litharge, Capital of Glisal)

(If Tecton happens to be a mutual ally.)

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• Better yet, give us Aetolia's PEERS system so we can keep using allies for combat purposes!
  • edited February 2019
    Less an idea, and more of an RP concept(?) I wanna toy around with. The way we've got containers right now works, but its still a bag of some sort. Still feels fantasy-ish to me to have what amounts to a Bag of Holding. I wanna bring the Bag concept up to the sci-fi level.
    Disclaimer: This is an idea I had just as I was falling asleep before launch and wanted to share before I shelved it for the umpteenth time. Also currently up later than I'd like.

Concept is this: digital/nano-based matter storage.
    You can keep the external look of a bag, pack, satchel, pouch etc but the actual function changes from a fancy sack of cloth to something that compresses items into either a digital format, or deconstructs them on a molecular level and stores them in a buffer. Storage possibilities stay the same, packs still hold the same amount but instead of it being physical storage space, it becomes digital. X amount of 'terabytes' for packs, another for satchels and so on. Coats and pants still operate on physical terms but can only hold small/smallish stuff.
    Can't pull out what you don't already have in there, so there's no shenanigans involving putting say a bowl of noodles into your pack and pulling out a sandwich (unless you have a sandwich in there) because you have the base components of both. I mean, you do but the software of the bag doesn't allow for this because something something market fluctuations something something. This part isn't entirely fleshed out in my head.

Would make sticking things like bowls of soup, or large objects in containers like the typical backpack alot easier to explain instead of 'it just fits' or 'it doesn't spill because of the design of the bag'. I dunno about you, but i've had too many tupperware containers of soup or stew explode in my bag just because i bumped the bag the wrong way too many times or i dropped the bag just a smidge too hard. Nonsense to this i say, this is Starmourn, we shouldn't have to deal with exploded soup.

Sudden realisation edit: This would also explain how scoundrel bandoliers work. Cloud storage, locked to your mind sim. This is why no matter what bandolier you pick up, you still get the same bombs. Also why more bandoliers do not equal more storage space. The bandolier is just an access device that digitally reconstructs your bombs from their base components.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • Cool idea. 

From an rp standpoint, I would say that the reason regular bags exist is that there are many people on each settled planet that can't afford to get off planet let alone tech that sophisticated. I would like to see some armored (just in description) or hardcase plastic shoulder bags and packs. 

Some of the mechanics have to be a suspension of disbelief. Consider, for example, junk. There's no way you could actually carry all of that plus weapons etc. in hand. Regular bags may seem like a bag of holding but trust me, I would rather "magic fingers" suspension of disbelief that than micromanage encumberance like other muds with that mechanic.

That said, it would be thematically neat but there is really nothing stopping you from pretending it already does that as an explanation for how you can fit all that crap in a normal looking bag.

• Me or someone else might have said one or two of these before.

Add the mob# to attack lines and windup lines.

Attrib for props in gmcp.

Damage taken config with damage type and raw/actual, plox.

A total value bit in the salvaging junk line.

Have affs delivered and subsystem damage impact the mob xp distribution.
    I KINDA HATE that you guys went light on the support role stuff, but at least that means you don't have to worry about rewarding a healer huehue.

Seconding boss mobs and unique fights.

• kamyr said:

I KINDA HATE that you guys went light on the support role stuff, but at least that means you don't have to worry about rewarding a healer huehue.

Healer class plx. I don't know how that would even work in this game, but I'd probably 100% play it maybe. 
  • kamyr said:
    Me or someone else might have said one or two of these before.

Add the mob# to attack lines and windup lines.

Attrib for props in gmcp.

Damage taken config with damage type and raw/actual, plox.

A total value bit in the salvaging junk line.

Seconding boss mobs and unique fights.

Love all of these. 

Hell, put it up via IRE.combatmsg or something, doesn't matter. 

I do hope they eventually release an open pvp zone with boss mobs or something. Preferably with significantly higher mod or gear drop rates. I thought from news post 64 that the rapasu worms were gonna be it, but I haven't had anything special drop from them yet and ive been hunting those for a few days now. They're also not much tougher than normal mobs. 
  • Desmond said:
    UNWRAP PARCEL for all of Jerry’s parcels... it puts the item in your inventory and destroys the parcel, much like unwrap present works in other games.
    Treading in the dangerous waters, mate. Take a step back and forget about such dangerous ideas.

-Your friends in the CleanBurn Incinerators.
  • edited February 2019
    Attack Barriers which can be placed upon terminals. Inflicts temporary afflictions upon the terminal being successfully hacked. Could be targeted to a specific person, faction, or other organization. Requires successfully hacking the terminal to put in place. Victims are alerted to the identity of their assailant while the person who placed it is notified of the successful attack.
    Possible afflictions: Disabled Communications, Credit Freeze, Reduced Mobility, or regular run-of-the-mill afflictions.
  • edited February 2019
    The ship's rotational thrusters fire, swinging it toward a northeastern bearing.
    Your set up your ship's autopilot to travel to RS-4946 (124, 124).
    Estimated distance: 673.

You can currently only learn how far away exactly a destination is by using the ship travel to command.

A really handy QOL improvement would be something like a ship distance to command, to allow us to assess the distance to a location from our current without having to commit to initiating the autopilot. E.g.:

ship distance rs-4946
    Your ship's autopilot calculates a route to travel to RS-4946 (124, 124).
    Estimated distance: 673.

Even better: let us calculate the difference between two different points in space. E.g.:

ship distance omni crossings.
    Your ship's autopilot calculates a route from Omni Station to the Celestine Crossings.
    Estimated distance: 1234.

I'd also like this added as a default to the voidgate nearest command. It's a bit lame to drop some marks travelling through a voidgate to get to the one nearest to your destination, only to discover that 'nearest' is actually still 2000 clicks away when you could've just travelled 3000 without the voidgate.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• I'd like an option to toggle props on/off, or at least to give them a different colour config to distinguish them from other objects. They're a bit spammy, and if you don't care about PvP there's no reason to interact with them. With a main interest in exploring, I've spent a lot of time spamming analyse on various props trying to see if they can be pushed/pulled/something for quest purposes, or checking to see if they have anything in them. I'd rather just not have them show up to confuse/frustrate/spam me.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• edited February 2019
    Please give us a way to transfer leadership of a clan to someone without having to spend 15k marks contesting for leadership. And also to assign clans as org property, so that anyone within that org who has the right permissions can reclaim a lost clan in the event that its head goes inactive.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• I know it's a minor thing, but can we have a written code of conduct for the forums. The number of direct insults and vicious fights makes me somewhat uncomfortable, especially since the forums are pretty much entirely ooc.

It also lets us know when to report a post rather than either grin and bear it or needlessly report.