Skip to content

Weird Ingredients: A Designer's Guide

2»

Comments

• My assumption is that they can be treated in most ways as present-day equivalent, the only difference is name for the sake of flavor. From the naming scheme and similarity, I would probably guess duracloth is cheaper, less luxurious alternative to polyleather, much like duracloth is on the bottom rung as far as prices.
  • Arsentar said:
    My assumption is that they can be treated in most ways as present-day equivalent, the only difference is name for the sake of flavor. From the naming scheme and similarity, I would probably guess duracloth is cheaper, less luxurious alternative to polyleather, much like duracloth is on the bottom rung as far as prices.
    Wait, syncloth is a better version of duracloth? I sort of thought it the other way around.
    This is what I mean about needing more info. :/
  • Thats my interpretation based on the descriptions I've seen. obviously I am not 100% sure.
  • I imagine duracloth is like burlap-muslin, syncloth like cotton/polyester. Similarly, duraleather is rough suede/upholstery work, polyleather is like faux calfskin/finer grain.
  • Eshe said:
    I imagine duracloth is like burlap-muslin, syncloth like cotton/polyester. Similarly, duraleather is rough suede/upholstery work, polyleather is like faux calfskin/finer grain.
    Hardweave is the burlap equivalent, though apparently it's natural and not synthetic. Maybe duracloth is a synthetic form of hardweave? But that seems sort of silly, considering hardweave is supposed to be inexpensive, and why would you synthesize something like that?
  • Synthesis has different kinds of durability, just like materials in the real world. Some things will handle better in space/transitions between environments, while natural fibers might be more comfortable for wearing ground-side, etc. 
  • Is there a canonical citrus fruit, outside the metaphorical reference to lemon in Gurgle Blasters?
  • edited January 2019
    Grek said:
    Is there a canonical citrus fruit, outside the metaphorical reference to lemon in Gurgle Blasters?
    It doesn't specifically say citrus in the description, but I think pomeros are supposed to be space oranges.

Edit: Holy daka. I just realized Krell is space-Florida. I need to open a Biloxan theme park.
    Character: Edon
    Race: Elgan
    Class: Engineer
  • RIP Florida...
  • Selador said:
    Grek said:
    Is there a canonical citrus fruit, outside the metaphorical reference to lemon in Gurgle Blasters?
    It doesn't specifically say citrus in the description, but I think pomeros are supposed to be space oranges.

Edit: Holy daka. I just realized Krell is space-Florida. I need to open a Biloxan theme park.
    I thought those were tomatoes.
  • Grek said:
    Ah. You seem to be right. Oh well. Those grow in Florida too so my headcanon stands and I still kind of want to eventually mod NDB to find and replace any deathsights of Elgans with '"Krell man" or "Krell woman" was slain by...'
    Character: Edon
    Race: Elgan
    Class: Engineer
  • Alright, now that weapon customisations are going to be a thing, I got to work on designing my own kithblade and was wondering the following, as a kithblade is not your typical sword, what sort of material would be appropriate for a kithblade? 

For reference, all kithblades in-game currently bear the following description:
    A long, reinforced strip of lightweight metal attached to a complex, artfully crafted hilt forms the base of this kithblade. When kith is pushed through the metal by a skilled practitioner of the art, the blade will come to life in a humming flare of energy and fire.

From the wiki:
    A Kithblade is a traditional bladed weapon empowered by void or star kith. The blades may be serrated or not. Star kithblades burn while void kithblades obliterate along their edges.

Should the blade be made of a durable material? Considering it doesn't exactly cut with its edge, should it be composed of paristeel, or would something more connected to kith be appropriate as well (i.e. iriil).

Does anyone know of any materials that would be used for more ornamental purposes? Thinking of what material to make the fancy handguard here, and the hilt as well.
  • Grek said:
    Selador said:
    Grek said:

Or pomelos.