Skip to content

Cloning rooms, safe or not?

I recently had an encounter with a player who is off his or her meds and just started attacking me over some shit that happened 4 or 5 days ago.

I ignored the player through the ignore player command and haven't talked to them since, because well they aren't worth the time.

I then am hunting and boom all the sudden I'm getting beat up by said player.

I run away, shuttle to the station and attempt to get to the safety, move to the cloning area, only to be drug out by some ability that pulls people to you.

This turns into a bunch of me running around till I am outta the throes of battle and escaping the station through station transfer list.

I don't really fight other players nor have I practiced it, so I know a good chunk would just say, kill her then, but I honestly don't have any idea how to use my talents to kill folks.

My qualm with it is the cloning room is technically a safe space, but you can get ripped outta it.  So why bother making it a safe place at all if one command can yank you out into danger?

So I guess my point with this post is to recommend admin either make it a true safe space where you can go if you're trying to avoid combat, or just turn off the protection there at all because it's not really protection.

Discuss.

Comments

• Safe places lock violent actions within in it. I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone attack someone from outside of one in any IRE. Good point, though maybe this is more unintentional than intentional.
  • Should just make something like grace in Achaea.   Fixed safe rooms are probably a bad idea.
  • I'm not against them being turned off as safe.

But if they aren't that leads to another problem.  In this case I was crashing out of rooms over and over, running around trying to escape, but the way starmourn is designed I was on a ten or so room station.

So literally there is no escape unless you get lucky like I did and run enough that throes of battle wears off and I could station transfer list to get off.

Were there manual ways to run for the hills, it wouldn't even be an issue.  But as it sits now I'm stuck running around in a goldfish tank trying to avoid combat.

So unless they simply don't want running away to be a thing, they need to figure something out.

In Lusternia, I could run away half way across the world if I wanted to from a battle, so having a safe space didn't really matter.  Plus they used guards all over our territories which would stop people from following you across the whole world, they had to either group up or be really good at ganking to get you.

Here we are dependent on the station transfer list, takeoff list etc and right now that's broken because it won't let you use them if you're in battle.

Only thing I can think of that will give you some semblance of escape from unwanted conflict is to either have clone rooms be untouchable from even the grab commands, or make station transfer lists not give two shits if you're fighting.

Just to reassure you again, I don't care about dying honestly, but I'm going to try to avoid it to the best of my ability, not just gonna stand there.
  • Their* [ftfy]

• "There" is correct in all instances of his usage in this case.
  • edited January 2019
    Asmoth said:
    Only thing I can think of that will give you some semblance of escape from unwanted conflict is to either have clone rooms be untouchable from even the grab commands, or make station transfer lists not give two shits if you're fighting.

Just to reassure you again, I don't care about dying honestly, but I'm going to try to avoid it to the best of my ability, not just gonna stand there.
    The idea is to encourage fighting instead of just running.

Honestly I'm surprised PTPs don't have the same in-combat restrictions as station transfer/takeoff lists.

If you want to avoid conflict, don't give others reason to attack you. If you don't feel this person had a valid reason to attack you, issue them.
  • edited January 2019
    Thessia said:
    "There" is correct in all instances of his usage in this case.
    He said his attacker was off of "his or her meds." In this case, his attacker was off of "their" meds, I assure you. I should have quoted that portion to be more specific and clear. 
  • edited January 2019
    I always laughed one someone died from being sniped while in a respawn room. Attacker had to be in the room to trigger the respawn.

also, I support station transfers being delayed if you are in combat. As a fast runner, I hate being denied cause I am too efficient.
  • edited January 2019
    Nykara said:
    Thessia said:
    He said his attacker was off of "his or her meds." In this case, his attacker was off of "their" meds, I assure you. I should have quoted that portion to be more specific and clear. 
    I said his or her meds to be inclusive since I know people of both primary genders play the game and I wasn't sure what their real life gender was, so his or her, is correct grammar nazi.
  • Try to be less annoying and maybe people won't want to kill you.
  • Secos said:
    Try to be less annoying and maybe people won't want to kill you.
    I understand pvp is part of the game. My only problem is there is no way to escape it when you’re on a space station. They have like ten rooms and you can’t run away, you’re caged.
  • Not every place is somewhere where you can easily escape. Avoid space stations if you're worried, perhaps?
  • Secos said:
    Try to be less annoying and maybe people won't want to kill you.
    I've wanted to PK this person p much every interaction I've had. :expressionless:

I'm just too British to.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Nykara said:
    Asmoth said:
    Nykara said:
    Thessia said:
    I said his or her meds to be inclusive since I know people of both primary genders play the game and I wasn't sure what their real life gender was, so his or her, is correct grammar nazi.
    Seeing as you are referring to me, and I am neither - nor my character - him or her, no, you were not correct. 
    You realize there is only two biological genders right?

https://youtu.be/WtftZPL-k7Y
  • Good to see you are not only an idiot in the game, but also outside of it. 
  • Snails would disagree with you, and that's just one creature in the animal kingdom. (My flippant comment for the night)
  • edited January 2019
    Yikes don't cut yourself on that edge, mate.
    Also citing Crowder for... Anything... Is about as good as citing MGK as decent music.
  • Maruna said:
    Yikes don't cut yourself on that edge, mate.
    Also citing Crowder for... Anything... Is about as good as citing MGK as decent music.
    I can accept he’s not the greatest but I didn’t want to put any more effort into finding something than finding the first thing that popped up on YouTube.

btw, mgk is horrible, team Eminem all day.
  • Just to be clear, the reason there are more than two genders is because we say there are. The precise same logic holds for why literally everything else that exists in Starmourn exists in Starmourn - we say there is, and we built it. 

It's incontrovertible that there are more than two genders in Starmourn, just like it's incontrovertible that there are Humans and starships in Starmourn.
This discussion has been closed.