Skip to content

Lore Question: Covenant Marks

Hello! I have a lore question for @Aurelius, or whoever else is allowed to come up with lore stuff for Starmourn.

Do Covenant Marks have a currency symbol? I know they're digital, but if I were looking to create a visual representation of one, such as for the logo of a bank (in theory), what could I use? I was thinking of using a coin, but I assume coins would be historical artifacts, long since out of usage.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
— Margaret Atwood

Comments

• Probably something to do with the Y’saari or Void Gates as a design?
  • While coins may be no longer in use, it isn't unlikely that their symbology carries over. For an example take a look at the general 'save' icon. I'd be willing to bet the symbol carries on for far longer than the actual floppy disc's run. Just my two cents. 
  • As a general exercise in Unicode silliness, I'll propose Ṃ̇.
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • @Solus and I were talking about this recently because he was designing a graphic to represent d'Erebus and wanted to incorporate marks symbolism. Original design had a bill but it felt anachronistic to me so he ended up rotating the Euro symbol 90° to make a stylized M.
    I'm gone.
  • saturnine said:
    @Solus and I were talking about this recently because he was designing a graphic to represent d'Erebus and wanted to incorporate marks symbolism. Original design had a bill but it felt anachronistic to me so he ended up rotating the Euro symbol 90° to make a stylized M.
    My reasons for asking are similar.

— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Oh my...  <3
  • That's in the simplified Y'saari script, incidentally. Their standard script is really complicated and hard to parse for those without the large number of eyes they have. 
  • Woooo it's so fancy! Thanks @Aurelius!

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• Good thing we don't have to write checks in the future...
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • So when will this symbol be added to Nexus instead of the coin symbol next to your currnecy counter? :pleased:
  • Probably never! A gold coin communicates currency to new players, whereas the Mark symbol is meaningful to the characters. 
  • Aurelius said:
    Probably never! A gold coin communicates currency to new players, whereas the Mark symbol is meaningful to the characters. 
    What about a gold coin with the mark on it?
  • I'm not even kind of an artist, but I was inspired to draw some concept art in MS paint. I'm sure you have artists that could actually do better:

Original Nexus:

Concept 1, with the mark next to the value

Concept 2, with the mark on the coins (Note that i'm not sure the current icon has enough pixel space to cleanly display the mark

Concept 3, with an actual gold coin.

• It kinda looks like a squid monster when you scale it down that small.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• Kestrel said:
    It kinda looks like a squid monster when you scale it down that small.
    It kinda looks like a squid monster because I have no graphical design experience and did it freehand in MS paint.
  • I'm 100% convinced @Aurelius made this up as he was reading this thread.
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • Rumor has it that it's a 4-dimensional symbol and if you rotate it you get

• Tye said:
    I'm 100% convinced @Aurelius made this up as he was reading this thread.
    If he did it's pretty awesome of him to do so for those of us who wanted something to base our logos off of.  :)

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• Would I be silly for thinking that the symbol for marks is the y'saari symbol for "sucker"?
  • Yes you would be. The Y'saari take commerce extremely seriously and reverently, much to the dismay of anyone who tries to cheat them.