Skip to content

Mining, Tukkav, and Others

Just a bunch of random questions I have.

1. How tall are Tukkav, generally? And I've noticed their feet (in the art) are actually feet without opposable thumbs. Are all Tukkav going to follow this, NPC-wise?
  2. Is there going to be a mining-oriented ship at all? With special features that are only used to actually mine?
  3. Is the mining only going to be player done? IE, a player has to pilot a ship to a planet or asteroid and mine? I know in Achaea, players set up mines and hire NPC miners and warriors, are we going to be able to do that same here?
  4. With ships, are we going to be able to employ NPC ships to protect our own for a higher cost than if we had a player do it? 
  5. More on protection ships - if we're able to have a storage ship bring back comms that was mined to storage spaces, would it be possible to employ NPC ships to protect those? Basically, huge mining convoys are what I'm talking about I'm trying to figure out how a mining empire would be run, mechanics wise
  6. Are we going to be able to customize the interior of our ship? Like in Achaea, you'd pay 1k gold to set the house description of a room in the subdivisions.
  7. Are there going to be subdivisions in the cities?
  8. Are we going to be able to colonize planets, if there are planets? Like, set up our own storage spaces, buildings, NPC shops, etc. I'd imagine this would be very costly and require a lot of oversight, though.
That's all my questions (for now).

Comments

• I think the NPC convoy is a good idea, but there are always places in space no one will go except for those exceptionally brave *players*.  Business!
    Pedagogical rumors of rumors fuel the cosmos

• edited September 2017
    #7. No subs! Actual housing accessible without ENTER SUBDIVISION etc... 

(would be my preference, at least.)
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Oh, and how accurate is this page still?
  • Will answer the Tukkav one - 170cm on the tiny end through to 244cm on the tall end.
  • Piggy backing off the Tukkav, how tall can my shen be
  • Syaja said:
    #7. No subs! Actual housing accessible without ENTER SUBDIVISION etc... 

(would be my preference, at least.)
    Like, there's a point on the map that you go to and there's just a normal directional exit?

Would rather not have manses/estates again.
  • @Syaja Subs are a way to remove all this houses from game and to move them all in one special place. The few other good ways to deal with it I know are special residential areas with predesignated limit of houses or use things like ENTER HOUSE[id] in the room player wants. Though this would take a lot more work from admins

• Khargal said:
    @Syaja Subs are a way to remove all this houses from game and to move them all in one special place. The few other good ways to deal with it I know are special residential areas with predesignated limit of houses or use things like ENTER HOUSE[id] in the room player wants. Though this would take a lot more work from admins

I'll take enter house ID which is far better than subdivisions. Far less immersion breaking too. 
  • I would rather prefer residential areas since they actually allow HOUSE ROBBERIES
  • Khargal said:
    I would rather prefer residential areas since they actually allow HOUSE ROBBERIES
    Imagined you speaking calmly then yelling "HOUSE ROBBERIES" as loud as possible. I trololol'd. Kthx. @Khargal
  • edited September 2017
    Khargal said:
    I would rather prefer residential areas since they actually allow HOUSE ROBBERIES
    Honestly, I'd prefer housing in known neighborhoods, created as needed due to demand, then paid for routinely/automatically through property taxes or something (Scatterhome may need different flavor text.) 

So like you have an exit in Scrapston in the Ascendancy that leads to potential homes. Standing in that exit and like PURCHASE and/or LEASE PROPERTY NW gives you that exit and spawns a room similar to subdivision housing. Being Scrapston, you now live in a one or two room shack, max. Still able to be broken into. It would have some regular upkeep costs to keep the location, otherwise you lose it, so people can't just buy up property and go dormant and disappear and take up all the available housing. (If you were to lose it, you might be able to port the house later, IDK, rough idea.)

Either way, subdivisions suck. They don't fit in with the rest of the game, you're basically in a wilderness map and they don't line up with the city at all. This is a chance to fix all that, while keeping in mind that some people are gonna wanna break into your house and steal all your stuff cause you weren't careful enough to protect it. ;)

BEST OF ALL WORLDS. 
  • I would definitely prefer housing not in a subdivision.  Maybe each city has a suburb area that you don't have to "enter" in to, and new rooms could potentially be created on the fly.
  • Syaja said:
    Khargal said:
    Honestly, I'd prefer housing in known neighborhoods, created as needed due to demand, then paid for routinely/automatically through property taxes or something (Scatterhome may need different flavor text.) 

So like you have an exit in Scrapston in the Ascendancy that leads to potential homes. Standing in that exit and like PURCHASE and/or LEASE PROPERTY NW gives you that exit and spawns a room similar to subdivision housing. Being Scrapston, you now live in a one or two room shack, max. Still able to be broken into. It would have some regular upkeep costs to keep the location, otherwise you lose it, so people can't just buy up property and go dormant and disappear and take up all the available housing. (If you were to lose it, you might be able to port the house later, IDK, rough idea.)

Either way, subdivisions suck. They don't fit in with the rest of the game, you're basically in a wilderness map and they don't line up with the city at all. This is a chance to fix all that, while keeping in mind that some people are gonna wanna break into your house and steal all your stuff cause you weren't careful enough to protect it. ;)

BEST OF ALL WORLDS. 
    Apartment buildings with elevators!!!
  • edited September 2017
    I could see cities having large apartment buildings for rent. The higher the cost, the more rooms you get. Large mansions never really made sense in the sci-fi genre, tbh.

Edit: It'd also help keep houses from piling up. I really hated when all the best locations were taken by people forever dormant and guys looking to get into housing for the first time had to live aaaaalll the way in the outskirts on the dusty plains and stuff.
  • Fair points!
  • edited September 2017
    I imagine in a place like the Ascendancy you'd move up from slums to penthouse-esque apartments
  • On Song I believe it would be hard to find a room to expand
  • Villanox said:
    Piggy backing off the Tukkav, how tall can my shen be
    155cm on the shorter side of things, up to 218cm on the tall side!
  • Any chance we can add the racial heights to the wiki?  o:)
  • Logonkha said:
    Any chance we can add the racial heights to the wiki?  o:)
    Done!
  • And age ranges also. :)
  • @Eukelade you just made my night. 
  • Eukelade said:
    And age ranges also. :)
    Wait. Are these the ages we'll be able to play as? This looks amazing.
  • Syaja said:
    Are these the ages we'll be able to play as? 
    Yup!
  • I don't particularly like the idea of property taxes, myself, along with most types of upkeep. Having a rentable housing option would be cool, but I would like a way to just get a house somewhere where I don't have to pay anyone anything to keep it, perhaps at a fairly high initial cost. Something like putting a secret hideout burrowed into an asteroid in uncharted space, or some such.

Better yet, use essentially the MKO model, except without being able to restrict estate privileges or have unpickable locks (so that they are not impenetrable fortresses, but might still be fairly hard to get through, through things like hidden exits and the like). There would essentially be a housing district accessible via housing directory with unlimited number of estates connecting to these rooms (with 1 estate directory room per town), and you can roleplay which part of the city your estate is actually in. These houses were not taxed, needed no upkeep, and had a flat fee per room with extra charges for doors, furniture and the like.

As far as large mansions go, if you are the owner of a successful intergalactic asteroid mining company or some such, splurging on a mansion makes perfect sense to me, it all depends on who your character is.
  • edited September 2017
    Scathain said:
    I don't particularly like the idea of property taxes, myself, along with most types of upkeep. Having a rentable housing option would be cool, but I would like a way to just get a house somewhere where I don't have to pay anyone anything to keep it, perhaps at a fairly high initial cost. Something like putting a secret hideout burrowed into an asteroid in uncharted space, or some such.

Better yet, use essentially the MKO model, except without being able to restrict estate privileges or have unpickable locks (so that they are not impenetrable fortresses, but might still be fairly hard to get through, through things like hidden exits and the like). There would essentially be a housing district accessible via housing directory with unlimited number of estates connecting to these rooms (with 1 estate directory room per town), and you can roleplay which part of the city your estate is actually in. These houses were not taxed, needed no upkeep, and had a flat fee per room with extra charges for doors, furniture and the like.

As far as large mansions go, if you are the owner of a successful intergalactic asteroid mining company or some such, splurging on a mansion makes perfect sense to me, it all depends on who your character is.
    I disagree. I don't want taxes to be absurdly expensive, especially for your most basic of sleeping quarters, but I think taxes are very healthy for a game such as this. Inflation and huge gold reservoirs are one of the issues that always seem to be difficult to balance in IRE games (as well as others, I'm sure). There were several logical reasons already noted above, such as availability/dormancy. It'd be great, too, if at least part of the taxes were funneled back into the orgs. Taxes can be nearly negligible for the most basic so that anyone can afford regular taxes.

This could also open possibilities if there are attempts to avoid paying taxes, leading to increased chances of either PvE mechanics or possibly PvP thievery (depending upon how it was handled). Shops in Midkemia technically were more liable to theft if taxes were unpaid but it never really seemed to pan out quite right as far I ever heard.

I'd like to reiterate that I'm not a fan of estates (or similar) which are nearly or completely impregnable.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Qitorien said:

I'd like to reiterate that I'm not a fan of estates (or similar) which are nearly or completely impregnable.
    There'll be no player housing other than ships when starting out, but ultimately, if player housing is not basically 100% secure, nobody will ever use it for anything except temporary hanging out. If it's not able to be made 100% secure, there is a near 100% chance that it will be broken into and anything you put in there stolen.

Theft is a very difficult issue in multiplayer games.
  • Aurelius said:
    Qitorien said:

There'll be no player housing other than ships when starting out, but ultimately, if player housing is not basically 100% secure, nobody will ever use it for anything except temporary hanging out. If it's not able to be made 100% secure, there is a near 100% chance that it will be broken into and anything you put in there stolen.

I am Groot
    (That was one of the things in Achaea that I found very true with House estates for the most part. In an attempt to keep the estate secure (especially when mobs were the target of org griefing and when shops/shopkeepers weren't made house-exclusive for selling items, then the house was almost never used, even when hang-out areas were made in a purposely less-secured part of the estate.)
  • Aurelius said:
    Qitorien said:

Yes, that's true. I guess it's more about people removing themselves from the game while still playing the game and trying to use that to troll or grief, like not being able to QQ to get out of active PvP.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I don't think I've ever hung out in a manse in lusternia unless I'm afk'ing (cause it's the one place it's allowed). But because of mechanics you're hidden if you do so it's also pretty inconvenient.

Part of the reason I like something that's org owned and potentially mapped is because you can have the feeling of community, rather than hundreds or thousands of manses all connected to one spot, you actually have neighbours. It's also potentially got a lower bar for entry if newbies can get tiny little apartments that let them start out with something before trying to move out into a better home.

Sure, maybe you have some really high end type things which move outside that system but that's also more impressive in comparison.

Making people want to go to homes is another thing though, I personally think a combination of mini-games, convenience, and other benefits is the answer there.
    Like my house in ffxiv has plants to take care of, vendors, mailboxes, storage, etc. My BDO ones can give some buffs and have some system around decorating.
    Being able to manage stuff more conveniently could also be a reason to get involved in housing and invest in it.