Skip to content

Cuisine — No beverages?

edited January 2019 in Feedback
Hi!

From the get-go I knew I wanted to take Cuisine as a tradeskill, which I inferred from this blog-post was to include both food and drink.

From asking around however, it seems this is not the case? And there are only food recipes available, no drinks?

I’d like to know definitively before I make the choice whether this is A ) Correct and B ) Intended. 

If it’s intended, I would ask @Tecton, @Aurelius & team to reconsider, and not introduce beverages as a separate skillset, but rather to include them in the same one. My reasoning for this is as follows:
  1. A chef should have the skills, ingredients and knowledge required to make both food and drink; these are not separate crafts any more than the ability to make shoes is separate from the ability to make dresses.
  2. Cuisine is already by far the most useless tradeskill, in that its function is purely RP. Eating isn’t a requirement in Starmourn and isn’t even as visible as letting players customise themselves with clothing and jewellery. So letting people who choose the ability to make cakes also have the ability to make juice isn’t excessive or imbalancing.
  3. You can only pick one tradeskill, and in the future maybe two. So if beverages were released as a separate tradeskill, forcing us to choose one of the two — or both in order to distinguish ourselves as caterers — would be pretty prohibitive.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
— Margaret Atwood

Comments

• +1. And also can we maybe make Cuisine less mechanically useless? Preferably by adding temporary statboosts to all cuisine food (scaling based on quality, ingredients, etc), and not by adding a hunger mechanic that people will resolve just by eating the cheapest NPC-sold stuff.

Reward quality! People should want to purchase that 700-mark roast instead of a 30-mark NPC hypersquare.
  • Sorry for quotebox I don't know how to computer
    Another option is also adding in mechanical defenses to Cuisine. Like maybe if you eat certain foods or foods with certain ingredients, you get a temporary bonus to EM damage or Mind Resist. Super-high end foods might even restore your balance a little faster.

There's a lot we can do here that'll make cuisine actually viable both as a craft/art and as a markmaking tradeskill on par with ship/weapon/armor modding 
  • I think it would be simpler and more unique (looking at you, Lusternia) if different builds (HELP APPEARANCE) had different (but very slight) mechanical effects. 
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • I heartily disagree with adding stat boosts to food. I think it would detract from the RP of eating food.

I've played a lot in Achaea, where I had reached the level that eating food was mechanically unnecessary. I still ate food all the time. Eating food is still fun (at least for avid RP-ers), if the food is well made. There are some dishes that are described so vividly you wish they were real.

Generally, we tend to eat mostly at parties and social gatherings. The host brings a pile of top quality food and drink (and drops it on the floor, lol) sometimes designed just for that occasion. And everyone has a bit of this and that, just enjoying the experience, even though most of us don't need to eat. Actually, designed food has little to do with hunger, because starving newbies just go buy the cheap denizen loaves and steaks.
  • +1. And also can we maybe make Cuisine less mechanically useless? Preferably by adding temporary statboosts to all cuisine food (scaling based on quality, ingredients, etc), and not by adding a hunger mechanic that people will resolve just by eating the cheapest NPC-sold stuff.

Reward quality! People should want to purchase that 700-mark roast instead of a 30-mark NPC hypersquare.
    One of the IRE games has hero fetes in their cooking skill which I always liked - the chef makes a bunch of food and once they meet the requirements they gathered as many people as possible and everyone got a really nice stat boost for like an hour. It was a good way to get people to do a big gathering and there was a fun little RP element to it that you're throwing some massive party.

Would love to see Starmourn adopt something like this, but maybe make it a rave or something crazy fun like that.
  • edited January 2019
    Let's not get into the slippery slope of every item in the game giving boosts.

Cuisine has an effect on your physique already. Too much makes you pudgy in game, to little leaves you emaciated.
  • So for reference to those wondering and still deciding on their tradeskill, @Tecton has confirmed in the Discord that the lack of beverages in Cuisine is intentional.

I’ve decided to hold off on acquiring a tradeskill as a result of this, because I don’t want to have to limit my choices to Cuisine + Brewing or whatever if beverages are released as a separate tradeskill. Especially considering we’re currently limited to one tradeskill per player, and this limit will presumably increase only gradually, yet stay on the small side.

In the meantime I would direct staff to the points I made in the OP and once more ask them to reconsider.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• If someone took cuisine for beverages and can't use it for that, a refund might be nice to offer!
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Kestrel said:
    So for reference to those wondering and still deciding on their tradeskill, @Tecton has confirmed in the Discord that the lack of beverages in Cuisine is intentional.
    This is pretty disappointing to hear. After a 200cr + lesson investment to get a skill that gives zero mechanical benefit, creating a separate tradeskill for drinks aside from cuisine seems like a complete waste. There's no real reason to take a tradeskill right now beyond the joy of the writing things and adding to the game as it is already an expensive initial cost to acquire, plus expensive (albiet more affordable after the change) to create designs, with little chance that 20 people will buy the design to recoup that cost or that you will somehow sell an RP only item to the limited amount of people who even care about that stuff. I hope @Tecton and the team will take another look at tradeskills once the initial dust settles.
  • I am likewise disappointed that Cuisine does not include drinks, and I agree with the reasoning presented by other posters as to why including drinks under the same skillset would not be problematic or unbalancing. We picked this skillset because we wanted to decorate the world - please let us do so in a thematically consistent way!
  • It wuld be nice if we could know the reason why. 
  • RIP Quaff. RIP @Bob