Skip to content

Earth Media

2»

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Crorr said:
    Ah, so space Australia, not space San Quentin. 
    Yeah, but less poisonous snakes/spiders/everything else and more death-by-vacuum or death-by-freezing or death-by-hard-radiation or death-by-mine-collapse or death-by-poisonous-gas-in-mine.

I'm literally looking at San Quentin out my window as I type this, incidentally!
  • Aurelius said:
    Seems odd that none of the media survived with the 'this is fiction, folks!' disclaimer that is at the end or beginning of pretty much every work of fiction ever. Suspension of disbelief is a thing, I guess.
    The bigger suspension of disbelief is that the only movies people in 2274 had with them were movies made at least 170+ years ago. ;)
    I can imagine a scenario where everything after 2020 or so was really only distributed in digital format, so current/old stuff (from our perspective) on physical media might be the only thing to make it through...
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • Interestingly, all of the movies on the list were released on laserdisc in addition to VHS
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • Aurelius said:
    Seems odd that none of the media survived with the 'this is fiction, folks!' disclaimer that is at the end or beginning of pretty much every work of fiction ever. Suspension of disbelief is a thing, I guess.
    The bigger suspension of disbelief is that the only movies people in 2274 had with them were movies made at least 170+ years ago. ;)
    They just don't make movies like they used to <3
  • edited January 2019
    Kax said:
    Aurelius said:
    I can imagine a scenario where everything after 2020 or so was really only distributed in digital format, so current/old stuff (from our perspective) on physical media might be the only thing to make it through...
    Sure, only digital. Think some futuristic equivalent of a tiny tiny usb stick hidden in their mouth or ear or somewhere more salacious.
  • Crorr said:
    Ah, so space Australia, not space San Quentin. 
    Does it have space redbacks, funnelwebs & spacebox jellyfish?
    vote ∘ Explore Nexus mods for Starmourn & Achaeandb for Nexus

• no but it has space bogans
  • Yrex said:
    no but it has space bogans

• Aurelius said:
    Kax said:
    Aurelius said:
    Sure, only digital. Think some futuristic equivalent of a tiny tiny usb stick hidden in their mouth or ear or somewhere more salacious.
    Yesterday Scatterhome had some discussion of salaciously-located mind-control devices...could be an adaptation of the same technology?
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • I was wondering why the contraband item had no music on it... Our current storage devices have a lot of room, I assume future ones would too
  • No headphones or speakers where he was going, so he threw the Black Sabbath and ELO in the space trash. It was very sad.
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • Not sure if happy or sad that there's no Drag Race seasons surviving heh.
  • And no House of Cards? I think it's pretty clear from my faction's newsboards that someone in the future had studied that political primer.

• This song is recorded on a gold platted copper disk that was attached to the voyager 1 and 2 space probes. I've always loved everything outer space, and this song always spoke to me. I have memories of hearing it as a child at the Christa Mcauliffe Space Center in Concord New Hampshire. I have memories of sitting in a lawn chair on warm summer nights sipping beer and pondering my place in the universe.

Are there any plans for one of the Voyager probes to be discovered in Starmourn? I really can't express how many hours I've spent in wonderment of a golden record of humanity drifting listless through the galaxy.

If anyone else is interested in finding out more about the contents of the records:
    https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/
  • Nope. In 900 years, Voyager 1 will be less than a half light year from Earth.

The Milky Way is 100,000 light years across. Starmourn is far far away from Earth.