Skip to content

Space Map ?

Is there an accessible server-side file for this - xml, png, jpg, bmp, txt, anything? Would rather not have to manually map the entire starchart. It's a big map.

Comments

• This made me curious so I did a quick calculation to get an idea of how big a space map would be. It's been said that space is 20,000x20,000 rooms. At 12 point font that comes out to just over 23ft on each side if you printed it. Whoa.
    I'm gone.
  • All of explorable space is currently 65,937,500 rooms, not including Y'saari space and the edges of the map. If I remember correctly, the entirety of Achaea's wilderness map comes in at under 1.8mil, for comparison. To map everything currently accessible, it's 14250 rooms (57 zones wide) by 7500 rooms (30 zones tall). Gooooooood luck with that.
  • That's like 16.5' x 8.7' at 12pt. Still massive.
    I'm gone.
  • Avymos said:
    All of explorable space is currently 65,937,500 rooms, not including Y'saari space and the edges of the map. If I remember correctly, the entirety of Achaea's wilderness map comes in at under 1.8mil, for comparison. To map everything currently accessible, it's 14250 rooms (57 zones wide) by 7500 rooms (30 zones tall). Gooooooood luck with that.
    How do we know this? Also, is it exactly rectangular?
    vote ∘ Explore Nexus mods for Starmourn & Achaeandb for Nexus

• Each zone is 250x250 = 62500 tiles. I count 1056 accessible tiles, so exactly 66 million tiles.
  • A team of us are indeed mapping everything! We should have all the coloured 'Named' subsecs out soon!
    Hi, I'm Ata. Oh and maybe some other people, too. o:) Check out my various packages for Nexus: Vuu combat system, Global Pathfinder, Slicer Tools, Ship compass, JS from command line, Vitals Tracker, and Equipment Manager.
  • Lusternia's aetherspace has been mapped... it's possible with some custom scripting in Mudlet
  • This is where scale comes in. Most of the space, even in populated areas, is empty.You could squish down the scale to the point where it would be legible, or you could work in chunks, and stitch them together with a numerical system. Preferably some combination of both.
  • edited January 2019
    Edit: WTH why does the comment I'm trying to make require approval...
    Edit2: Apparently, it has something to do with including gmcp in the comment. Odd.
  • edited January 2019
    Yep. A little tedious to manually map. Dividing into sectors, zones, quadrants or whatever seems more efficient. I'd say... a week to complete, but knowing myself probably a month. Although, I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth the effort. The primary use, that I can think of at the moment, would be pathfinding long distances. Avoiding nearby hazards is easy enough to do with the mini-map (not taking into consideration latency and lag at full throttle).

Does anyone happen to know the purpose of the ohmap entry in the room info of gmcp (I'd type the whole entry but the forum flags the post when I do) while using the space map?