Skip to content

What other MUDS have you played?

Purely out of curiosity, I'm just wondering where we're all coming from. Other IRE games? Different MUDS? Sci-fi or fantasy? Etc.

I played Imperian for a bit and dabbled in Lusternia and Aetolia, but mostly played Achaea for 12 years.
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• My first MUD, back in the mid-90s, was a game called MUME, Multi-Users in Middle Earth. It was a LOTR-based Diku MUD, very active PvP community, especially in Sweden. I still play that every once in a while.

Other than that, I dabbled in a few, including The Great Hunt (ROM, WoT-based), UnOfficial SquareSoft MUD (not sure of the base, but it's a really fun and unique combat system), and Achaea, and mostly Lusternia.
  • Achaea was my first and only other but MUD. It's been pretty cool, slightly frustrating at times with artefacts, but other than that it's amazing. Can't wait for Starmourn
  • I guess I should mention that back on AOL I played a game called Federation, my introduction to MUDs. I was like... 15 or 16 at the time. 
  • Hmm... I think my main games are FF14 and Lusternia. Although both 'fantasy' on the surface, they also both have strong scifi themes... I would say I'm all for scifi. But I do enjoy well written fantasy novels.

I'm still pretty newb with IRE, I guess, my character being 'only' 60... but FF14 I've been with for a while, though with less time early on because school...
  • Stumbled across Avalon in grade 9 with some friends in the Library.  We died laughing when one of my friends typed 'spit Jaskar' and it actually worked.. Librarian kicked us out and wrecked the MUD fun.

Found Achaea in 2007 and have played there off and on since.
  • Lusternia, mostly. Love the lore and it always draws me back, though I'm too mental to stick with it long enough to get good at it.
    Also played a bit of SinDome, which was interesting but, again, I'm mental.
  • Lusternia, Aetolia, Midkemia, Legends of the Jedi 

• Entirely Lusternia.
  • I played Achaea for a few years about 10 years ago but with much less impetus to get anything done. More recently I played Midkemia for several years. I've played Lusty perhaps a total of 6 months but at different times and with varying success. I never got super far. I only got about as far as rolling characters on Impy and Aetolia. I played Lithmeria from launch until several months in though it had so many kinks and issues that needed working out. I've dabbled or rolled characters in several other MUDs, but not really worth mentioning.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • My first MMO experience was Asheron's Call back in it's heyday.  After that, I stumbled into MUDs and other roleplaying media.  

First was a LOTR MUSH.  I forget the exact one, but the roleplayers were intensely immersive and very, very patient and helpful. I was clueless about what they were doing- roleplaying? Lolwut.

Later played Materia Magica for awhile, and dabbled in other un-noteworthy MUDs.

Found IRE and diddled in all their offerings aimlessly before settling down in Lusternia for a number of years.

I'll play a graphical MMO occasionally, it just doesn't keep my interest like a good MUD does.
  • Logonkha said:

I'll play a graphical MMO occasionally, it just doesn't keep my interest like a good MUD does.
    This. 110% this.
  • I have played WoTmud, Aarchon, all of the IRE muds (though MKO was the only one I really got into), The Two Towers (extremely briefly), Star Wars Mud (extremely briefly), and another wheel of time mud (I think it was Shadows of the Prophecy, or some such, but quit after I realized how their RP culture worked). Aarchon and MKO were the only ones I really got into, with Aarchon being mostly a non-roleplaying mud that I eventually grew tired of. Aarchon is essentially little bits of a large number of worlds interlaced in a discordant mess.
  • I've tried all the IRE muds, but mostly liked and played MKO.  I've also played Aardwolf.  Outside of those, I've never really committed to playing any muds for more than a few days.
    Pedagogical rumors of rumors fuel the cosmos

• Every IRE mud including the Tears of Polaris preview. Been around since 2005 in one form or another. IRE has spoiled me and I can't bring myself to play any other MUD, rip.
  • Dodger said:
    Every IRE mud including the Tears of Polaris preview. Been around since 2005 in one form or another. IRE has spoiled me and I can't bring myself to play any other MUD, rip.
    Ugh. Yeah. I looked at premises but just couldn't. You log in without the clean IRE layout and it's just sad. 
  • I am Groot

(Achaea starting back in '08 and Imperian more recently. I have dabbled in a few others, but I keep getting drawn back to IRE games. They're just too good!)
  • Started with Achaea in early 2000s, tried Imperian and Aetolia but they couldn't keep me interested long enough for me to pass novicehood for whatever reason. Then moved to Lusternia for a while in which I played my most successful character. Afterwards, I moved to MKO for a time and then Lithmeria, the only non-IRE MUD I played.
  • As far as MUDs go, I only really dabble. The IREs somehow caught my attention and kept it, though.

For the most part I tend to stick to MUSHes instead. Though I haven't really been too consistent with any of them since Atonement RPI went away, that's still my guilty pleasure.
  • In the early 2000's I played Dragonball Saga, Vortex MUD, Alien Versus Predator, eventually settling on Achaea. I think I was 12 or 13 with my notebook, writing down directions on how to get to places. From Shallam to Ashtan to Thera to Delos, etc etc. I still have the character. 
  • Syaja said:
    Jericho said:
    In the early 2000's I played Dragonball Saga, Vortex MUD, Alien Versus Predator, eventually settling on Achaea. I think I was 12 or 13 with my notebook, writing down directions on how to get to places. From Shallam to Ashtan to Thera to Delos, etc etc. I still have the character. 
    I can still go from Cyrene to Delos in my head, thanks to starting before autowalking was a thing. 

Agreed. 
  • edited August 2017
    My first and longest played Mud was a cyberpunk game by the name of Sindome. It's a good game with a lot of potential, but some serious staffside issues (personal opinion made after staffing briefly. Check the reviews on The Mud Connector to get a few more viewpoints on it). Nonetheless I enjoyed about two years of adventuring in that game, did some things I am still proud of, and learned a lot which perhaps surprisingly helps me outside of the game world.

Aisde from that I played Haven, a modern day horror/fantasy game and Cybersphere, another cyberpunk game briefly.

Unfortunately I just can't get into fantasy games so as much as I would like to try the other IRE muds, I just don't like fantasy. As a result I can't get past the fantasy aspect to actually take the game itself seriously despite making an effort on Lusternia (I think that was the one).

Sci-fi is my jam though, so Starmourn is super exciting for me.
  • Discworld, Achaea for a bit, LOTJ, and Lusternia.
    I've also wandered through Awakened Worlds, God Wars II, BatMud, BuffyMud. Visited GWSE (still wish I could go back).

Also like... Graal Online, WoW, Tera, GWII, FFXIV, Warframe, BDO.
  • edited August 2017
    Sairys said:
    Discworld, Achaea for a bit, LOTJ, and Lusternia.
    I've also wandered through Awakened Worlds, God Wars II, BatMud, BuffyMud. Visited GWSE (still wish I could go back).

I also play Warframe and Guild Wars 2, good games. I'm actually a clan master in warframe, with 8 other members in my clan.
  • Scathain said:
    Sairys said:
    Discworld, Achaea for a bit, LOTJ, and Lusternia.

I also play Warframe and Guild Wars 2, good games. I'm actually a clan master in warframe, with 8 other members in my clan.
    Nice ^_^

The uni gaming club I'm a member of (even though I graduated years ago :P) has a ghost tier clan with pretty much everything done we just cycle members in and out depending on who's actively playing at the time so we never go above the limit heh.

Looking forward to path of fire, though still confused about the reasons for necros getting support. My favorite memories are pvp'ing as necro and getting highest dps and best heals :pleased: 
  • I really only actively played Achaea, different characters and cities, but I've always had trouble branching off to something so similar to it. I'm excited for the universe here, it's exactly what I want to play.
  • I started on MUDs in Lusternia a while ago. Then from Lusternia, I went to Aetolia, Achaea, Midkemia, Imperian, back to Midkemia... I've also played a cyberpunk MU* called Sindome, one called Cybersphere, I actively play Haven: Nightmares and Secrets, have played New Words Ateraan, tried Armageddon, and played some medieval fantasy one that I can't remember the name of.

I've also dabbled in MUSHes.
  • Mostly Achaea. Dabbled in Armageddon. Lost three characters in short succession and burned out. Enjoyed it while I played, but it was too stressful too.  I am the kind of person who gets attached to her character.
  • TextWench said:
    I started playing a MUD-type game in the early 90s via local BBS. I have no idea what iit was called, but it was a space MUD with planet/resource development and space combat. 

Trade Wars, perhaps?

Personally, I play Dragonrealms (from Simutronics). I used to play it when I was young and came back to it after nearly a decade and have been playing it for about 3 years. Off and on I've played MUDs and MUSHs for short periods of time. The only other text game I've played for long was a Sci-Fi MOO called Miriani.