Skip to content

Solar Eclipse

Speaking of outer space, is anyone watching the solar eclipse today in North America?  I am in St. Louis so the totality is in a little less than an hour for me.

Comments

• The clouds just rolled over here, so if they clear in the next half hour or so, I'll be out there!
  • I saw a partial eclipse (about half an eclipse), sadly was unable to see the full eclipse.
  • Too far north :sunglasses:
    Ataniiq
  • I'm in the path of totality. It's fifteen minutes from starting.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Completely overcast here, unfortunately.
  • Very overcast, though it peeked through the cloud briefly during the peak here. We had glasses to share and we could see it decently through the clouds. It did not get nearly as dark as I thought it would, though.
  • It got really dark here for a bit then it got slightly...brighter? It's supposed to storm here today so we got hosed. 
  • was completely overcast here, but didn't matter. once you put the glasses on you could see it just fine. was really neat. I was at 90 something percent and the whole building was out there watching.
  • It was partly cloudy here but I was able to catch it.  It was really neat.  When it got dark for a minute, the crickets all started chirping. I think they were confused.
  • I got to see it from Massillon Ohio, through filter glasses and also snuck a look at it through a thick cloud. Looked like a crescent moon! No total darkness though.
  • I had a perfectly clear sky, which is nice because I requested this day off work in February. It was brilliant, and I chose to watch in a crowd so there was a lot of excitement.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • I was locked into the school for the eclipse >.>
  • Was sorta free when it rolled over Oklahoma/MidWest City. It got dim pretty quickly ( similar to how the sky tints when a hurricane or bad storm is coming ) but blue skies held strong. Didn't get to look, as I was busy driving and getting poked at by doctors, but was neat to be out and about and seeing dozens of people looking up with protective eyewear.
    Zhill says, "Drats."
    You say to Zhill, "Thanks anyways! I'm gonna go break more things!"
    Zhill tells you, "You show'em!"
    You joyfully tell Zhill, "I sure will!"
    You laughingly tell Zhill, "Or I'll die horribly! Ahahaha!"
  • In Dallas, TX area the day got quite dim around 1pm (peak was 1:09ish). I didn't have any of the special glasses, but I glanced up.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • @Qitorien
    In 2024 we don't even have to go anywhere
  • Villanox said:
    @Qitorien
    In 2024 we don't even have to go anywhere
    If I can still see, @Villanox B)
    Would serve me right even for glancing. I lost track of how many times I read/heard a warning about not looking at the eclipse. :dizzy:
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • I was able to observe the event from an observatory in Florida.  Graciously, the clouds moved out of the way long enough to get a good view.  However, I felt that a certain search engine's daily doodle was very misleading, I was expecting to see UFOs.  Also, if anyone can find ISS LIVE footage of the umbral pass, I'd appreciate the link.
    Pedagogical rumors of rumors fuel the cosmos

• @Qitorien Its such a reactionary thing, but theres still people who do it.. Like a certain well known somebody of some country somewhere 
    Zhill says, "Drats."
    You say to Zhill, "Thanks anyways! I'm gonna go break more things!"
    Zhill tells you, "You show'em!"
    You joyfully tell Zhill, "I sure will!"
    You laughingly tell Zhill, "Or I'll die horribly! Ahahaha!"
  • Cookie said:
    @Qitorien Its such a reactionary thing, but theres still people who do it.. Like a certain well known somebody of some country somewhere 
    Lol, yeah. Frankly, I prefer too much warning to too little. There will always be people who do regardless, but hopefully it's less..
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • edited August 2017
    Wilmer said:
    I was able to observe the event from an observatory in Florida.  Graciously, the clouds moved out of the way long enough to get a good view.  However, I felt that a certain search engine's daily doodle was very misleading, I was expecting to see UFOs.  Also, if anyone can find ISS LIVE footage of the umbral pass, I'd appreciate the link.
    The closest they came during each of the four passes was something like 1050 miles, so they're all on the "horizon" of the Earth, so to speak. Still pretty neat to see, imho.

• Filmed the sun on my phone while it was happening. At first look I couldn't see anything it was so bright but I noticed a little tiny glare like aura on the screen and when I looked at that it was actually like a reflection of the sun and you could see the eclipse in it. Was pretty neat and I am sure there is some technical thing that caused it but I don't know what it is called. It looked like a waning moon.