Skip to content

What's your favorite player race, and why?

Comments

• They actually said they're using American spelling because American English is the FUTURE and the OUTDATED NATURE of Fantasy games is what demanded silliness like 'colour'.

We only have the color of space, here, now.
  • Thats hilarious for a good many reasons.
  • Demarcus said:
    Aw! Super poor Nath-el, my half vote didn't even count for them. Big tear. Guess I'll just go over here and have a hive of 1... is it even a hive then? Hmmm... maybe I can make robots to be my underlings. 

This seems like a terrible idea.
    I'll join you in being a lonely Nath-el. Especially because nobody else is picking them. I'd be pleased to buck the 'norms' and play the sole bug lady who's cool with not having a hive around, because no MUD is complete without somebody running some special snowflake RP.
  • Pollivar said:
    They actually said they're using American spelling because American English is the FUTURE and the OUTDATED NATURE of Fantasy games is what demanded silliness like 'colour'.

We only have the color of space, here, now.
    Starmourn moves too fast to be burdened with that superfluous 'u'! I should also note that we've elected to get rid of violet from the color spectrum for the same reason. Ain't nobody got time for that!
  • Well, clearly the racially superior Shen will still use the proper spelling of words such as Colour, Honour, and Valour
  • Tecton stated above that race will have no bearing on stats. Will there be any racial advantages or mechanical differences?
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I'm actually curious about that as well

• Qitorien said:
    Tecton stated above that race will have no bearing on stats. Will there be any racial advantages or mechanical differences?
    Probably not right at launch. I can definitely see some RP utility being added post-launch.
  • @Qitorien @Sagex I bet Jin will be able to see where players have died; some kind of death shadow racial ability. Maybe Amaians will be able to breath under water a wee bit longer than the rest .. W'hoorn can glide short distances and probably jump from higher heights.. Tukkav probably have 16,000 years of cumulative insane alcohol tolerance..
    Ataniiq
  • I'm torn. I'll probably play a human at first, for fear of misrepresenting a race, but after that, I might play an Elgan. The only thing I dislike about them are their faces. But I look forward to seeing and interacting with all of the races!
  • @Qitorien @Sagex I bet Jin will be able to see where players have died; some kind of death shadow racial ability. Maybe Amaians will be able to breath under water a wee bit longer than the rest .. W'hoorn can glide short distances and probably jump from higher heights.. Tukkav probably have 16,000 years of cumulative insane alcohol tolerance..
    i wish i had 16,000 years tolerance :( 
  • Sagex said:
    @Qitorien @Sagex I bet Jin will be able to see where players have died; some kind of death shadow racial ability. Maybe Amaians will be able to breath under water a wee bit longer than the rest .. W'hoorn can glide short distances and probably jump from higher heights.. Tukkav probably have 16,000 years of cumulative insane alcohol tolerance..
    @Sagex what's your lineage? Maybe you do.. :awesome:
    Ataniiq
  • Sagex said:
    @Qitorien @Sagex I bet Jin will be able to see where players have died; some kind of death shadow racial ability. Maybe Amaians will be able to breath under water a wee bit longer than the rest .. W'hoorn can glide short distances and probably jump from higher heights.. Tukkav probably have 16,000 years of cumulative insane alcohol tolerance..
    german and irish 
  • Sagex said:
    Sagex said:
    german and irish 
    :hurrah:  I'm Irish! Woo! Cheers
    Ataniiq
  • For me I would love to play a Bushraki. The backstory they have is insane and just (at least to me) could lead to wonderful RP. 

But in the scope we are given Jin or Human. I like the Jin's view on death. And you could do alot with that.
  • edited August 2017
    It was obvious from day one.

• Human all the way, but that's the same for me in most games. I sometimes force myself to try other races but the further it is from human, the more I struggle to build the picture in my head.
  • Mal said:
    For me I would love to play a Bushraki. The backstory they have is insane and just (at least to me) could lead to wonderful RP. 

I'd have to agree. Reading the wiki, Bushraki have a better developed lore than some of the player races. And really different/unique/interesting history.
  • I believe, you should add hyprids cause in the other games you will notice people, being half human and random race, and usually you will see it in there appearance but if you make it a feature in the game we could have mixed abilites, but each would be weaker, this is just a fun idea, I had
  • Fairmia10 said:
    I believe, you should add hyprids cause in the other games you will notice people, being half human and random race, and usually you will see it in there appearance but if you make it a feature in the game we could have mixed abilites, but each would be weaker, this is just a fun idea, I had
    Traditionally, in roleplay, being "half human and half X race" is very difficult to do successfully, and is seen as a "unique" character gimmick rather than anything that can actually enhance their story. People who do this in other IRE games ("half rajamala" catgirls in Achaea come to mind) are usually shot down by the community for being "special snowflakes".

If you want to do something like this, there's probably nothing stopping you short of the admins saying "hybrids are not possible." But you still have to ask yourself questions like "How is my character being a half-human hybrid going to be relevant to how I play the character?" and "If my character was just human, would the way I play my character be any different?"
  • Hybrids are usually annoying rather than interesting. They are used by crazy guys that want to create chimeras and munchkins that want to have all the best qualities of all races. Another problem is about RP. My advice for myself when I roleplay xeno - "Check twice what is different in your xeno character from all the same guy but human. If there is no difference, change character immideatly"
  • Mal said:
    For me I would love to play a Bushraki. The backstory they have is insane and just (at least to me) could lead to wonderful RP. 

But in the scope we are given Jin or Human. I like the Jin's view on death. And you could do alot with that.
    We actually developed Bushraki with the intention of them being a playable race. The problem was that we just couldn't get over the fact that they have all these implants to augment them, but there would be no mechanical difference between them and anyone else. Since that is literally their defining trait, we just couldn't swallow it, whereas it's more acceptable to me for Tukkav not to be mechanically physically stronger than, say, Elgan.
  • Could always look into making 'Bushraki Marauder' one of the classes if we ever expand on them post-launch. It could be like Lusternia's tree-people, where to take the skillset you MUST be that particular race. That way it could be completely oozing with flavor, and also lore-friendly.
  • Hybrids can still be done, traditionally you just choose one of the two races (generally whichever one raised you) and roleplay being of mixed parentage. It was generally done fairly well in Midkemia, and I remember about four hybrid characters (one of which was mine, namely Iltara). And yes, a hybrid characters should be notably different from either of its two races. This is often done when one of the two races you would otherwise pick is not mechanically implemented.
  • In a scifi world though, we ought to pay at least a little bit of respect to genetics. Obviously stuff doesn't have to be completely realistic - but unless you're hybrid by means of gene splicing then the necessary suspension of disbelief required by everyone else to enable your hybrid character is just too high.

And even gene splicing can't justify inter-alien hybrids. The aliens don't even have genes to play around with.
  • edited August 2017
    Aurelius said:
    snailbee said:

(p.s. I noticed a few typos on the Nusriza article: "In this state, their bodies intensely crave the meat of the algerion - huge, non-sentient creatuves that create gas balloons out of giant air sacs in their bodies." and "Most of these Nusriza, unless they're being taken care of and their sexual needs provided for, starve to death or are killed after seeking seek with the unwilling.")
    Fixed, thanks!

I really am not trying to be a jerk here, but I've been reading through the wiki and there are a lot of grammatical/spelling errors. Is it like any other wiki where I can log in and make edits? Or do you guys have it more locked down than that because, well, IP and all?
    I'd love to help out. Was an editor for several years, journalism degree, etc.
    Sorry if this is rude, just want to help.
  • edited August 2017
    bairloch said:
    Aurelius said:
    snailbee said:

(p.s. I noticed a few typos on the Nusriza article: "In this state, their bodies intensely crave the meat of the algerion - huge, non-sentient creatuves that create gas balloons out of giant air sacs in their bodies." and "Most of these Nusriza, unless they're being taken care of and their sexual needs provided for, starve to death or are killed after seeking seek with the unwilling.")
    Fixed, thanks!

I really am not trying to be a jerk here, but I've been reading through the wiki and there are a lot of grammatical/spelling errors. Is it like any other wiki where I can log in and make edits? Or do you guys have it more locked down than that because, well, IP and all?
    I'd love to help out. Was an editor for several years, journalism degree, etc.
    Sorry if this is rude, just want to help.
    They mentioned having it locked for now, but most of their other games usually allow you to log in with your character to make edits. Like as not they'll allow it too down the line.
  • I'll definitely be playing Jin, with their warrior culture and obsession with death driving a lot of cool RPK.  I'm hoping we can get some cybernetic modifications and I can go full General Grievous at some point.
  • Aurelius said:
    Mal said:

We actually developed Bushraki with the intention of them being a playable race. The problem was that we just couldn't get over the fact that they have all these implants to augment them, but there would be no mechanical difference between them and anyone else. Since that is literally their defining trait, we just couldn't swallow it, whereas it's more acceptable to me for Tukkav not to be mechanically physically stronger than, say, Elgan.
    Understandable, but couldn't it be said that these augmented implants put them on par with the other races? The Bushraki were so twisted by testing and augments it crippled their body without the implants and they are now on par with them? I know it's a stretch and yea without race "perks" the whole they process drugs through the implants and it makes it so it doesn't kill them but they still have the addictive symptoms, etc. Without there being a race perk it probably won't work. So I can understand why you might want to keep them on the shelf for now, but maybe someday they can be worked out to be another added race.
    At least for the whole, "I hate myself for what has been done to me, I hate you for being unaltered, etc." That is just such a great race for all types of RP utilization. From angry kill em all BEAST, Engineer trying to fix his augments through engineering, to the Scoundrel who is coming to terms with herself and just accepting herself. And those are just off hand. Please don't just scrap them yet maybe backburner them for when you have time 8 years down the road :smiley:
  • ...if I'm perfectly truthful... none of the current races really appeal to me much. I'm tentatively interested in the Ry'nari... it will really depend on how 'tech' they are vs tribal they end up being-- but if that doesn't work out--

Human for me...