Skip to content

Hypermeat? Shen diets?

Why do the Shen find the meat-eating culture of other races repulsive? This suggests their reasons for vegetarianism go beyond adaptative/digestive capabilities.

Do they feel this way towards other products of industrialised animal slaughter/exploitation, such as milk, eggs, leather, silk, feathers, honey? Or is it just eating flesh?

Hypermeat has been brought up here as 'a very versatile lab-grown meat'. Since this does not technically come from an animal, can/would Shen eat it? Or would the sight of imitation meat still viscerally bother them on some level?

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
— Margaret Atwood

Comments

• The sight of imitation meat should really bother everyone on some level... 
  • Why should it?
  • Because it's pretending to be something it's not?
  • Oops, I meant lab-grown meat, not imitation meat. Veggieburgers and tofuburgers are great. :pleased:

This, on the other hand, is weird at minimum.

Image result for cultured meat

But I'm sure it will be delicious when transformed into hypermeatloaf!
  • I dunno, just looks like meat to me. 

Tofu burgers, now... That's a travesty.
  • I can just hear that thing whispering, "Kill... me..."
  • edited April 2018
    I personally can't wait for imitation/lab-grown meat to become mainstream IRL. It's our future! Save animals, save the planet, get the same meaty taste everyone loves. What's not to like about it?

EDIT: But real world opinions aside, I was just wondering about Shen attitudes/culture/diets/reasoning for their lifestyle.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• It's probably safe to assume that if an entire species doesn't eat meat there's not a "logical" reasoning for it, but a deep-seated, genetically-rooted, psychological reason for it. What that reason is, I have no idea. That's up to you guys to figure out. :)
  • My guess is that every member of their species ate undercooked chicken once and got sick...
  • Repressed instinct for cannibalism?
  • edited April 2018
    Mmmmmm, hypermeatspam and hypermysterymeat.

More on topic: There could be a biological reason, probably..some physiological requirement.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • There are tales, known to but a few, of sapthirsty crews of Shen pirates and scavengers who prowl the dark spaces near Atria, consuming every scrap of ship and crew unlucky enough to find them.