Skip to content

Tradeskills in Starmourn

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Ahhh! So excited! We had been teased about food type crafting in MkO before it was shut down so I'm especially excited about that! And also the mods...and fashion and jewelry are fun too..all of it! All the things! :D

eta: I LOVE the idea of learning by reverse engineering with the NPC drops. Will the drops be transferable/sellable for those interested or just the crafted mods? Will there be any benefit to PCs from the drops once they reach that "100% knowledge?"
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I am glad to see jewelry crafting make it in. It's usually my favorite in the other games. 
  • I'm confused, can we learn both a custom design tradeskill and an item creation tradeskill on the same character or do we need to pick only one?
  • I feel that way towards cooking. I was worried food here would take a Matrix-ish approach with "this is instant meal Grey Goop. Grey Goop has everything you need and nothing that you don't need. Just eat this forever and you'll be fine." 

Trying all kinds of delicious dishes and probably creating some of my own will be really fun. 
  • Qitorien said:

eta: I LOVE the idea of learning by reverse engineering with the NPC drops. Will the drops be transferable/sellable for those interested or just the crafted mods? Will there be any benefit to PCs from the drops once they reach that "100% knowledge?"
    Nope, the drops won't be transferable, though you will be able to sell them for a small amount. 

The benefit from ongoing drops after you have mastered the mod is that you need the mod parts you get from reverse-engineering the mods to make the crafted mods. 
  • Jerom said:
    I'm confused, can we learn both a custom design tradeskill and an item creation tradeskill on the same character or do we need to pick only one?
    You can learn all of them if you want, but with each one you learn the cost goes up. 
  • Would/Could the price increase be split between the two groups?
    Just cause of the note about the approval requirements involved in custom design skills that isn't there in item creation skills.
  • Sairys said:
    Would/Could the price increase be split between the two groups?
    Just cause of the note about the approval requirements involved in custom design skills that isn't there in item creation skills.
    Unlikely for launch, since we've just got the 5 tradeskills. I imagine once we have a wider array of options, post-launch, we'll offer something there.
  • So will everyone have generic weapons and armor that aren't player crafted in the beginning and can only be improved with mods? 

I really like the mod concept, makes me think of SWTOR where you reverse engineered things to create improved versions of them.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• edited January 2018
    Aurelius said:
    Qitorien said:

Nope, the drops won't be transferable, though you will be able to sell them for a small amount. 

The benefit from ongoing drops after you have mastered the mod is that you need the mod parts you get from reverse-engineering the mods to make the crafted mods. 
    Ah, I see! I didn't catch on that they were one and the same. Thanks for the response!

Squeakums said:
    I feel that way towards cooking. I was worried food here would take a Matrix-ish approach with "this is instant meal Grey Goop. Grey Goop has everything you need and nothing that you don't need. Just eat this forever and you'll be fine." 

Trying all kinds of delicious dishes and probably creating some of my own will be really fun. 

Nah, people are way too much into pandering themselves, including gluttonous delights, to let the art of food tasting good die out completely, unless of course there's no other option, like in the Matrix, lol. I'm also really excited about food designing/crafting too. :D
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Of course, one of the first thing I'll want to design is Grey Goop. It does have everything you need and nothing you don't need. 
  • How will curatives be generated? Also, how will the skill system work with changing skills?
  • Rolsand said:
    How will curatives be generated? Also, how will the skill system work with changing skills?
    Curing works quite differently in Starmourn - more info on this to come in the future! Skill system works relatively similarly to how our other games work, where you can change your class, or forget and change tradeskills easily!
  • With the Fashion tradeskill, will it just be clothes or will there also be containers like backpacks and bags?
  • Initially just clothes, but we'll certainly expand it as time goes on. 
  • edited July 2018
    In general what kind of sci-fi material sources (i'm not sure what to call it) are we going to be going with? synthetic versions of typical garments (synth-leather, synth-cotton etc)? replication a la Star Trek (Computer... Hot pants. Flamingo Pink. Tight.)? or is this going to be all kind of done on the fly with a general thematic allowance that we slowly find the upper limits of overtime? (Rejection comment: 'no, stop trying to incorporate nanotech into your pants to make it have a strobe effect, or I'll make -you- into a strobe effect by rapidly blinking you in and out of existence.')

I ask cause I'm busying myself with clothing designs for my character until launch.

post-edit: Wow, 1 week to edit a comment??
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • Check out the Starmourn wiki! There's a lot of things that have already been described on there. There is synth cloth, as you mentioned, as well as exotic real materials such as Merovian silk.

https://wiki.starmourn.com/Category:Culture has articles on food and drink and clothing, and there's another category for technology.
  • This is the category you're looking for to learn about various clothing materials:

https://wiki.starmourn.com/Category:Materials
  • Starmourn Wiki said:
    Rubber is a material manufactured from fossil fuels.
    This is offensive to my people. Outlaw this practice immediately.
  • Think of it this way, you're killing a species even in death. Except now it doesn't even cost you effort.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • Malash said:
    Starmourn Wiki said:
    Now that's a condom ad campaign waiting to happen: "StarRubbers: Ancestral Protection!"
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • Quean said:
    Malash said:
    Starmourn Wiki said:
    Now that's a condom ad campaign waiting to happen: "StarRubbers: Ancestral Protection!"
    Keeping the population of you litterbox-sitters under control is an exception I'm happy to endorse.
  • Will there be a system for trademarks or craftsman marks on crafted items?
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Qitorien said:
    Will there be a system for trademarks or craftsman marks on crafted items?
    Those are two very different things, but it's easy for us to leave a mark on crafted items indicating who made it.
  • I call dibs on the necklace made of spent shotgun shells!
  • As an aspiring Space!Pimp fashion designer, I was wondering how custom crafting is going to work within the game economy? Like, will we have to manufacture/buy our fabrics in order to manufacture (and then sell) our fashion? Is there a going rate for a bolt of Merovian silk? And then what should I  charge for, say, a hip-length cape of burgandy Merovian Silk with a Synfur trim? 
  • This is a step before buying materials I think. With raw materials and refineries, I don't recall any materials like silk or leather being obtainable through the process of refining. So will the players themselves be able to produce these products, or are they only obtainable through denizens and shops and the like?
  • For the most part, tradeskills will just require Marks to produce, as materials are easily obtainable in this setting (even Merovian silk - it's rare but easy to get if you have the money). That's not to say it may never change, but for launch that will be the case.

The resources produced via refineries are going to be on an enormous scale. 1 unit of nanoplastic might be a hundred tons, for example. And we don't really need anyone producing 4 billion flip-flops from that in one go.
  • Thanks for the info, Oryx! ::quietly shuffles plans for flip-flop World to the side::
  • dancink said:
    Thanks for the info, Oryx! ::quietly shuffles plans for flip-flop World to the side::
    Now, Flip-Flip Galaxy....game on.