Skip to content

How will we and the world interact with a BEAST without a pilot or a pilot without a BEAST?

I imagine there will be times there you won't be inside your mech, and I wonder how that would be handled! Example, you are approaching a clan and they request no outside weapons. Agreeing to this insane request, you get out and enter their stronghold. Now in another room, would a Technician have any method of self defense or should we expect 1 point-of-damage punches or a subpar gun/knife you hid in your boot?

Or alternatively suppose you are seeing things get dicey in a bar and your trigger finger is starting to itch or someone has flipped your berserk switch, and you want to get in your mech to mess some fools up... but you left it in the bar's driveway either because it couldn't fit through the door or because you can't drink through your helmet... Would you tippity tap on your wrist and the suit would auto-pilot towards you (barreling through anything in the way) and open up so you can get inside?

... Could another Technician jack our newly polished Tech, forcing us to deal with using their worn down hunk of junk/nothing? Can our BEAST be destroyed separately from us in a "Emergency Eject" way giving us a final chance to flee from battle or be sabotaged by a stealthy individual who wants to keep a Technician from using their greatest weapon? In such a scenario could/would we start building a new one from scratch or do we have an insurance plan?

If you haven't noticed I am excited to have a robot suit.

Comments

• I have a feeling if you're a BEAST you don't "get out" of your suit.  Maybe it's like the tiny iron man where you have it on you all the time in a briefcase or something! :D
  • It's something you carry in your inventory, and which you can wear any time you wish. A Technician will be fairly useless without her BEAST on though, and we'll make sure you can put it on very quickly.
  • edited October 2017
    Aurelius said:
    It's something you carry in your inventory, and which you can wear any time you wish. A Technician will be fairly useless without her BEAST on though, and we'll make sure you can put it on very quickly.
    Is there any chance of theft or moving it out of the inv in any way then?
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Qitorien said:
    Aurelius said:
    It's something you carry in your inventory, and which you can wear any time you wish. A Technician will be fairly useless without her BEAST on though, and we'll make sure you can put it on very quickly.
    There's zero chance of someone stealing your BEAST suit out of your inventory unless they've hacked your character.
  • Aurelius said:
    Qitorien said:
    Aurelius said:
    There's zero chance of someone stealing your BEAST suit out of your inventory unless they've hacked your character.
    Cool, thanks for the clarification.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Will there be a couple skills that can only be performed outside of your BEAST? Though, I suppose if it's an inventory item and not a skill you just summon, it'd be as simple as aliasing a 'WEAR BEAST' thing for whenever you want to put it on...

Second question! Are there actions you can't take while wearing the beast? Those be some big hands, yo.
  • Not currently, no
  • I would really love to see at least some types of Beast (light/med/heavy) that have certain restrictions and different playstyles, so I could play in a light beast that is far more agile than strong and maybe has a longer stabby stab in exchange for no missile launcher etc.

I dislike that it is something that is just in iur inv and I like the idea of having a wrist pad that can summon the beast or allow a limited amount of remote control like Iron Man can do. It feels far too cheesy for a scifi game to just have 'a thing in your inventory at all times.' You can find tech that could keep beast suits restricted to their wearer such as dna scanners that make the beast shutdown and lock if messed with for fluff as to why you cant hack them as a player. Please dont cheese up what could be the coolest class in this game with its unique elements of weakness/strength. If I want to run around as my pilot with a pistol I should be able to at least do a few basic things and not be completely useless without my suit
  • @magee101

I wish I could agree and awesome at the same time. Different mech tiers that can use different loadouts based off of like.. suit weight or something.

It might be something that'll have to be implemented at a later time, though.
  • magee101 said:
    I would really love to see at least some types of Beast (light/med/heavy) that have certain restrictions and different playstyles, so I could play in a light beast that is far more agile than strong and maybe has a longer stabby stab in exchange for no missile launcher etc.

I dislike that it is something that is just in iur inv and I like the idea of having a wrist pad that can summon the beast or allow a limited amount of remote control like Iron Man can do. It feels far too cheesy for a scifi game to just have 'a thing in your inventory at all times.' You can find tech that could keep beast suits restricted to their wearer such as dna scanners that make the beast shutdown and lock if messed with for fluff as to why you cant hack them as a player. Please dont cheese up what could be the coolest class in this game with its unique elements of weakness/strength. If I want to run around as my pilot with a pistol I should be able to at least do a few basic things and not be completely useless without my suit

In that vein, it would almost make more sense to not think of a BEAST as a class, but rather a skill like piloting a starship. That way, if you invested XP/points/whatever into the BEAST skill, you could buy a suit of a particular kind and make use of it. Then you'd still be your base class but you'd have access to some heavy duty equipment. And there could be other requirements or limitations to make it less common or prevalent....like the skill + some kind of fuel + maintenance and costing a good deal of money in general.

Just more thoughts to throw on the pile.
  • Aetolia has one class that works something like that, distinct from the other classes. Shapeshifting is something anyone can learn, and the 3 skillsets involved with it temporarily replace your current class skillsets when you shapechange.

The class began as an ordinary class, and was changed after many years to work the way it does now, and I think it has been a successful change.

Sometime in the future, when Starmourn has more classes, maybe they will consider doing what you describe - but for now they're fairly light on the standard classes at launch.