Skip to content

Space

What's space like? Good question! Just put up a page with info on it, a screenshot, and the first map of Starmourn Sector, which I'm including here too.

Comments

• That's interesting that all the player orgs are 'right next' to each other...
  • Gotta stick players somewhat together or they have a much smaller chance of actually encountering each other.

• In this test system pic, is the green @ the starship and the \ the direction it is facing and/or moving?
    Are each of the other objects systems? Is there a significance to the colors, perhaps size-related? In the main website's article, it says there's "more room" between than in the test pic. I take it that means distance and not a single room, haha, especially when given the immense dimensions of the sector. This is all looking super awesome and got me hyped all over again! :chuffed: :D
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Aurelius said:
    Gotta stick players somewhat together or they have a much smaller chance of actually encountering each other surviving.
    ftfy
  • edited November 2017
    Pollivar said:
    That's interesting that all the player orgs are 'right next' to each other...
    Guessing resources are the good excuse for that one? Maybe high quantities of metal and water are only in that section of the system.

Satomi said:
    Aurelius said:
    Gotta stick players somewhat together or they have a much smaller chance of actually encountering each other surviving.
    ftfy
    Can't say being close to players of different cities ever increased my survival odds in an IRE game. Any city based conflict is going to be interesting if people are bumping into each other every time they step outside their planet.

The Y'saari Covenant seems like its meant to be the buffer between player planets. Is there a plan for this place to be a neutral zone for the player orgs or is that sort of thing going to be entirely left up to us?
  • Qitorien said:

In this test system pic, is the green @ the starship and the \ the direction it is facing and/or moving?
    Are each of the other objects systems? Is there a significance to the colors, perhaps size-related? In the main website's article, it says there's "more room" between than in the test pic. I take it that means distance and not a single room, haha, especially when given the immense dimensions of the sector. This is all looking super awesome and got me hyped all over again! :chuffed: :D

Yep, the ship is the @ symbol and the \ behind it can be thought of as the energy blasting out of its engines, or whatever. It's going northwest. Yellow = sun, blue = planets, S symbols = space station.
  • I like that the system map has been colour coded already with blue for Song territory
  • edited November 2017
    Aurelius said:
    Qitorien said:

In this test system pic, is the green @ the starship and the \ the direction it is facing and/or moving?

Yep, the ship is the @ symbol and the \ behind it can be thought of as the energy blasting out of its engines, or whatever. It's going northwest. Yellow = sun, blue = planets, S symbols = space station.
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification! :)

eta: So... given that direction explanation, the ship will probably want to steer in a bit different direction unless suns work differently in Starmourn :lol: That makes me curious about gravitational pull from large celestial bodies. Will Starmourn utilize it?
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • I'll be rimward with my bug spray, errr chemical weapons.
  • Qitorien said:
     That makes me curious about gravitational pull from large celestial bodies. Will Starmourn utilize it?
    No. Because of the necessarily low-res nature of ship movement - you're either in this room or that, you can't be partway in between - we decided that having gravity impacting people would probably be too annoying. Always something we can reconsider in the future though.
  • So this map makes me want to know a lot more about the Y'saari Covenant. :) 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Let's just say, you want to stay on their good side. (does a terrifying space crab have a good side? Is it their left? I think it's the left...)
  • edited November 2017
    Aurelius said:
    Qitorien said:
     That makes me curious about gravitational pull from large celestial bodies. Will Starmourn utilize it?
    No. Because of the necessarily low-res nature of ship movement - you're either in this room or that, you can't be partway in between - we decided that having gravity impacting people would probably be too annoying. Always something we can reconsider in the future though.
    Not that I'm PULLing for it...HA ha ha! Ha?

But you could just make gravity draw ships into the next room entirely. I'm not really in favor of or against.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Syaja said:
    So this map makes me want to know a lot more about the Y'saari Covenant. :) 
    http://www.starmourn.com/npc-races/
  • Will we be able to customize the display colors? Will zoom levels be controllable? Will we have to slide ourselves into docking ports to land in stations or planets? And is my assumption that the 20k x 20k count doesn't count as rooms for infantry correct, or is each space room a foot room?

Irrelevant: Eyeballing the map at like 50x40, that is .05% of the game
  • Docking is handled automatically, alongside things like voidgates, by entering a command when you're adjacent to the thing you're interacting with. Space doesn't count for exploration or something you can traverse on foot. Zoom is fixed (only so much you can do with text)