Skip to content

How will the arts and academia work within Starmourn?

edited October 2017 in Questions and Answers

By ‘Arts’ I mean: Can you create (i.e. write) within Starmourn? When I say create, I refer to things like, but not restricted exclusively to, the creation of paintings, and the creation of musical, theatrical or ritual performances with the EMO command?

By ‘Academia’ I mean: Will you be able to RP a ‘scholar’ character, and publish academic literature/research like in Achaea’s journals and library system?

I began playing Achaea in 1998 and continued to play it heavily for a decade afterwards, then on and off for another five years after that. The ability to be creative within Achaea’s communal and fully realised RP environment was what drew me back again and again.

I know many players look down on this sort of game playing style, but this was the key reason I played Achaea for so long. I’m a writer first and a gamer second, basically 😊

Comments

• By extension I believe this is one of the things that keeps me coming back too. I focus a lot on Combat but because Achaea has this foundation of arts and academia it continues to bring me back.

I really hope we can do that for Starmourn too!
  • Tecton said:
    Riado said:

By ‘Arts’ I mean: Can you create (i.e. write) within Starmourn? When I say create, I refer to things like, but not restricted exclusively to, the creation of paintings, and the creation of musical, theatrical or ritual performances with the EMO command?

By ‘Academia’ I mean: Will you be able to RP a ‘scholar’ character, and publish academic literature/research like in Achaea’s journals and library system?

I began playing Achaea in 1998 and continued to play it heavily for a decade afterwards, then on and off for another five years after that. The ability to be creative within Achaea’s communal and fully realised RP environment was what drew me back again and again.

I know many players look down on this sort of game playing style, but this was the key reason I played Achaea for so long. I’m a writer first and a gamer second, basically 😊
    We've got lots of tools to support these aspects of gameplay. You'll find that our "arts" system on-par with Achaea and our other Iron Realms games, including comprehensive emoting options, through to custom item creation tradeskills, and many more!

Books though, they are so last millennium! We use datashards for storing written works, which you can share with others for limited or indefinite amounts of time, and cities will have the option to have a central datastore where they can collect datashards for membership viewing.

YES PLS K THX
    um, I mean. I’m really looking forward to all of this! 😊
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Tecton said:
    Riado said:

[stuff]

We've got lots of tools to support these aspects of gameplay. You'll find that our "arts" system on-par with Achaea and our other Iron Realms games, including comprehensive emoting options, through to custom item creation tradeskills, and many more!

Books though, they are so last millennium! We use datashards for storing written works, which you can share with others for limited or indefinite amounts of time, and cities will have the option to have a central datastore where they can collect datashards for membership viewing.

Awesome! And thanks for the quick response. This is going to rock.

Another quick question (I think the answer will be no, but its worth a shot). 

Will recording devices be available? 

An issue that arose within Achaea, was when some Gods decided it was OOC to post live event 'logs' to city/org/public news boards.

Although this made sense IC (and I fully understand the decision), it removed a platform for creatives to mass-share our work over. Also, because posting logs was considered OOC, many great works were lost as they couldn't be recorded for posterity.

These live events are a cornerstone of the cultural identity building process, especially in the early life of an organisation. From what I saw happen in Achaea over the years, there's a snowballing effect, with creators bouncing off one another and carving out cultural elbow-room. Removing a public platform for them to share over, somewhat diminishes this process of cultural evolution/definition, as it makes it harder for ideas to circulate amongst the group imagination.

Will posting live event logs be considered OOC or IC? And as Starmourn is powered by advanced technology, will there be a way to 'record' (i.e. take an IC log of) an event, and then mass-distribute it across the stars (i.e. post it somewhere IC that target audiences can read it)?

Thanks for all the hard work you and the team are putting into this, it really looks like you're creating something ground-breaking. 

• edited October 2017
    Riado said:
    Tecton said:
    Riado said:

[stuff]

[stuff]

Awesome! And thanks for the quick response. This is going to rock.

Another quick question (I think the answer will be no, but its worth a shot). 

Will recording devices be available? 

An issue that arose within Achaea, was when some Gods decided it was OOC to post live event 'logs' to city/org/public news boards.

Although this made sense IC (and I fully understand the decision), it removed a platform for creatives to mass-share our work over. Also, because posting logs was considered OOC, many great works were lost as they couldn't be recorded for posterity.

These live events are a cornerstone of the cultural identity building process, especially in the early life of an organisation. From what I saw happen in Achaea over the years, there's a snowballing effect, with creators bouncing off one another and carving out cultural elbow-room. Removing a public platform for them to share over, somewhat diminishes this process of cultural evolution/definition, as it makes it harder for ideas to circulate amongst the group imagination.

Will posting live event logs be considered OOC or IC? And as Starmourn is powered by advanced technology, will there be a way to 'record' (i.e. take an IC log of) an event, and then mass-distribute it across the stars (i.e. post it somewhere IC that target audiences can read it)?

Thanks for all the hard work you and the team are putting into this, it really looks like you're creating something ground-breaking. 

We had similar issues in Midkemia. I understand as well. What we ended up doing often is recording it and then editing it to make sense in the context and without OOC identifiers, etc, before posting/"writing" it somewhere.

As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Qitorien said:

We had similar issues in Midkemia. I understand as well. What we ended up doing often is recording it and then editing it to make sense in the context and without OOC identifiers, etc, before posting/"writing" it somewhere.

Interesting 😊 This is such a tricky little RP point.

I know the recording idea is, most probably, an impossibility to realise in code. I guess I'm interested if Tecton and the team have considered any IC solutions to this.
  • We're generally fine with posting cleaned up logs, a few minor find/replace options to strip out prompts/unnecessary items etc, maybe changing the words from "Riado says with a faint shin accent, "Blah." to something more past tense is always nice too.
  • Tecton said:
    We're generally fine with posting cleaned up logs, a few minor find/replace options to strip out prompts/unnecessary items etc, maybe changing the words from "Riado says with a faint shin accent, "Blah." to something more past tense is always nice too.
    Or a note that says this is a transcript as things happened, on this date and time, just to clarify that it's the past. As transcripts can read in present tense such as:

[Cross talk. Reporters shout questions.]
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.