Skip to content

Comments

• I have to say, after Tears of Polaris and just now seeing DEATH in STARMOURN in my fb feed.. I was worried there for a moment
  • "Yeah guys we're cancelling Starmourn."
  • edited October 2017
    Love the way death is being handled according to your write-up. Really interesting and logical way. It almost feels like a fun throw-back to game save/ checkpoints.

So if you were to die aboard your ship, it would be the same, you’d end up spawning at your previous cloning facility? What happens to your ship (assuming it’s not destroyed)? Will it be possible to retrieve your INR as it floats aboard your ship in the darkest recesses of space? 
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • edited October 2017
    What's going to stop people from farming experience off of other people? Does this also apply to pk death? Will there be something like deathsight that allows you to see where another person died?
  • I am not looking forward to bandits ganking and holding my xp for ransom.
  • Sweet! I love the "stealing" experience or selling it back. I don't see that as a "nasty thing to do". You risked your life to go get it, they should pay you for it. Especially seeing as how you could use it yourself. That's a valid exchange, imho.
  • i want to rob a ship. :\
  • I wonder if that means A: Corpses will stick around longer, B: Killing another player doesn't guarantee exp on their death, C: There will be less hit to exp if you suck at landing and forget to reupload
  • I love this. I just dearly hope it works in space battles, but I suppose it  won't, since he mentioned 'dying in a way that preserves it' and being vaporized probably doesn't deserve it. 
  • Man, ship battles are going to be brutal as heck. 
  • bairloch said:
    Sweet! I love the "stealing" experience or selling it back. I don't see that as a "nasty thing to do". You risked your life to go get it, they should pay you for it. Especially seeing as how you could use it yourself. That's a valid exchange, imho.
    Well, more likely you just killed the person and the INR is sitting right there. ;)
  • So, turns out implementation had changed since I designed the death system, and our wires got crossed.

You'll lose a small % of your current level when you die, though you can still recover the INR and get most of that back.

The reason for the change, which makes sense and which I approve of, is that under the original system I designed (and originally described in the now-changed blog post) is that someone at max level would never actually lose anything from death since they'd constantly be backed up at max level. If we get rid of the max level in the future, we may change death - we'll see!
  • Pollivar said:
    I love this. I just dearly hope it works in space battles, but I suppose it  won't, since he mentioned 'dying in a way that preserves it' and being vaporized probably doesn't deserve it. 
    Depends. You'll be able to put on a space suit and eject from a ship, and if another ship picks you up before the suit's power runs out, you live!

And if your suit's power runs out in that circumstance, your INR would still be there. 
  • Aurelius said:
    bairloch said:
    Sweet! I love the "stealing" experience or selling it back. I don't see that as a "nasty thing to do". You risked your life to go get it, they should pay you for it. Especially seeing as how you could use it yourself. That's a valid exchange, imho.
    Well, more likely you just killed the person and the INR is sitting right there. ;)
    Maybe YOU did. I'm not much of a PvPer. Haven't killed anyone yet.

I was thinking big fleet battles, lots of crap out there, salvage teams scouring the wreckage, dodging speeding bits of wreck, scooping up INRs and selling them back.

That's more my kind of lifestyle (playstyle) than killing people.
  • I'm not sure we'll see a lot of big fleet battles, but I hope so! We need quite a playerbase in order for those to be anything but exceedingly rare. 
  • if i die at space without a ship and it's just me hanging around dead in space, will there be a way to find my corpse before another ship sees it?
    There's too much blood in my caffeine system
  • uric17 said:
    if i die at space without a ship and it's just me hanging around dead in space, will there be a way to find my corpse before another ship sees it.
    TBD!
  • edited October 2017
    Hm.. I think maybe if your ship explodes your INR  explodes with it? Or maaybe it jettisons to the nearest planet? I really do love the whole concept of dying and rebirth in this so far! Makes me excited to see what else you guys come up with!
  • edited October 2017
    If your ship explodes and you're on it when it does, kiss your INR goodbye!

• Okay, are escape pods a thing? I can see people staying on their ship on purpose just to deny me their INR, but if I want to space pirate, losing the INR is losing the main source of fun.
  • People are going to be able to eject and float around hoping to be rescued (or kidnapped) before their life support runs out and they die.
  • Aurelius said:
    People are going to be able to eject and float around hoping to be rescued (or kidnapped) before their life support runs out and they die.
    So, basically, to be rescued would require an infinite improbability drive. DON'T PANIC. :)
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • what about lifespan? if i am a Ry'nari and i become older the 100 years, what happens to me? 
    There's too much blood in my caffeine system
  • uric17 said:
    what about lifespan? if i am a Ry'nari and i become older the 100 years, what happens to me? 
    Nothing other than that your Age field will show that you're old, and you'll look quite decrepit unless you've gone in for rejuv treatments to make your appearance more youthful.
  • wait wait wait wait... so... we get WRINKLES?!?!?!

Time to schedule my weekly rejuv treatments.
  • Satomi said:
    wait wait wait wait... so... we get WRINKLES?!?!?!

Time to schedule my weekly rejuv treatments.
    Sooo many wrinkles: 
  • Rejuv treatments sound a lot like having your body stretched out on a table like a floppy piece of meat and having someone else go over it with a clothes iron.
  • Not just a clothes iron, but a clothes iron wielded by an angry Tukkav.
  • Dibs on being the angry Tukkav.