Skip to content

Q+A Madness - October 2017

edited October 2017 in Questions and Answers
Hi Everyone,

Going to be spend today answering as many questions as possible! Got a question? Post it up!

Note: While I'll try to give as much detail and information as possible, there are still systems that are not in a final state, or we may want for that to be a surprise for when you guys play the game - so apologies in advance if you don't get as much detail as you'd like!

Comments

• Can't remember if this was asked before but... will every B.E.A.S.T. have access to the same weapons or will there be room for customization? What I mean is will they all have a minigun, missile launcher, railgun, etc. or will they have to choose between which ones they want? Like when Tears of Polaris was in development, they had this idea with Mutants. Mutants had 'mutation points' and you could spend them to grow claws and thick skin, but someone else could choose to spend them on tentacles (don't ask) and wings. And I thought this was awesome and I'd love the same idea for the B.E.A.S.T.
  • What can you tell us about the crafting tradeskill system? How similar will it be to the other ire games? 
  • How easy will it be to get into crafting at launch?
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • What is a feature we're going to be excited about but don't even know to ask about yet?
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • This is a very open-ended question, so feel free to answer how you see fit, but I was wondering what sort of mechanics' features will really separate Starmourn from other IRE titles? (As I've noticed they each have their own unique stamp on the Rapture engine.) I'm super excited for hacking, but what can we look forward to in terms of the gameplay that isn't just a radical change in setting? 

Thanks a bunch!
  • How big is this "built from the ground up" rapture revamp, or whatever you want to call it?

Are the changes so much that we wouldn't even recognize similarities with the other IREs? What will be the same?
  • edited October 2017
    annys said:
    How big is this "built from the ground up" rapture revamp, or whatever you want to call it?

Are the changes so much that we wouldn't even recognize similarities with the other IREs? What will be the same?
    We're definitely trying to keep things familiar (basic syntaxes and common system interactions) for those who have played IRE games, don't worry! We're not going to change what works! In most cases we've streamlined and improved things, rather than radically changing them. In situations where things are pretty different, we've tried to include the "traditional" IRE syntax as a valid way of interacting!
  • Apart from BEAST suit-tech, will clothing have any benefit to combat (or any benefit to any other mechanic?)

As it seems that the released races seemed to have achieved spaceflight at some point, is it possible we are going to encounter pre-tech civilizations in our adventures?

Are we going to have books/e-readers/suchlike?  Things to write on so other players can read them.  Or is this going to go the route of holocords? Accompanying bookshelves/databases to store/access them?

• Can we have any information about the mining system? Please? :proud:
  • I think the most important question is how will players from other games console themselves when the awesomeness that is Starmourn is launched? ;)

but more seriously:
    We’ve gotten used to IRE geography being grand scale and large, even epic. How will the geography of Starmourn feel? Considering it’s an entire galactic (if that’s the word I want) sector with many, many planets, it feels like it should be huge, though I hope it all still feels as accessible as possible.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I’m using different posts for different types of questions. I hope that makes sense. 
    On crafting, I would love to see a type of skill set that is unlocked or enhanced gradually by use of that skill set. Can we expect that at some point, even if not at launch?
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Is weaponry/blasters a separate general skill than class skills? Like can a BEAST use a blaster rifle or a vibroblade? If so will they be able to be used in conjunction with class skills if applicable? Vibroblade slash and BEAST plasma ray on the same "balance"?
  • Logonkha said:

Apart from BEAST suit-tech, will clothing have any benefit to combat (or any benefit to any other mechanic?)

As it seems that the released races seemed to have achieved spaceflight at some point, is it possible we are going to encounter pre-tech civilizations in our adventures?

Are we going to have books/e-readers/suchlike?  Things to write on so other players can read them.  Or is this going to go the route of holocords? Accompanying bookshelves/databases to store/access them?

Clothing won't have any tangible effect apart from how faaaabulous you look to others.

It is possible you might encounter some lowly race who does not possess the requisite mental capabilities to achieve spaceflight. 

Books are so prehistoric! You will have written items in the form of datashards. You can link your datashards to other players mindsims to allow them to read the contents for a limited or unlimited amount of time.
  • Zion said:
    Can we have any information about the mining system? Please? :proud:
    We don't have any firm details on that system as yet!
  • Qitorien said:
    I think the most important question is how will players from other games console themselves when the awesomeness that is Starmourn is launched? ;)

but more seriously:
    We’ve gotten used to IRE geography being grand scale and large, even epic. How will the geography of Starmourn feel? Considering it’s an entire galactic (if that’s the word I want) sector with many, many planets, it feels like it should be huge, though I hope it all still feels as accessible as possible.
    That's definitely a real issue with planets being so compartmentalised and requiring traversal between. While space flight is available to everyone in the game, we definitely don't want it to be a drag to move between planets. Something we're keeping an eye on!
  • Qitorien said:
    I’m using different posts for different types of questions. I hope that makes sense. 
    On crafting, I would love to see a type of skill set that is unlocked or enhanced gradually by use of that skill set. Can we expect that at some point, even if not at launch?
    No plans for anything like that at this stage, sorry!
  • Any info on the fifth class yet?
  • TNA said:
    Is weaponry/blasters a separate general skill than class skills? Like can a BEAST use a blaster rifle or a vibroblade? If so will they be able to be used in conjunction with class skills if applicable? Vibroblade slash and BEAST plasma ray on the same "balance"?
    For launch, we'll likely just have weapons be limited to just the options available to your class. We do have plans to open this up to have more freeform weapon use, but it won't be as effective as using your class skills. As we only have one form of "balance" it's very unlikely that you'll be able to combo non-class actions with your class abilities.
  • Laxnarl said:
    Any info on the fifth class yet?
    We'll be doing a post about that in the coming weeks with concept art and all the frills!
  • Will there be exploration ranks and benefits? I rather liked how MkO did it though weariness from walking got a bit tiresome.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • edited October 2017
    Qitorien said:
    Will there be exploration ranks and benefits? I rather liked how MkO did it though weariness from walking got a bit tiresome.
    Certainly are exploration ranks! No mechanical benefits for ranking up at this stage, but there will be some rewards!
  • TNATNA
    edited October 2017
    Player shops? Or will it be a digital market?
  • edited October 2017
    Someone (not me) wanted to know if s/he will be able to marry him-/herself (not me myself...I swear.) As a follow up, will there be any mechanical changes or benefits for marriage/civil union?

also, I just realized the unintentional pun I made with my previous post...I wish it had been intentional, lol.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
This discussion has been closed.