Skip to content

Star Trek: Discovery

What did you think of the new series?

Comments

• I really want to see it!  I already have Hulu and Netflix but I am not sure if I want to pay for CBS All Access.  I guess I could just watch it on network TV...  Is it any good?
  • Meh. It's not bad, but not really a trek in my opinion. It has a more firefly feel. More ass kicking, less scifi gadget/theory problem solving.
  • edited September 2017
    Didn't care for it.
    Was going to post more about it but it would contain spoilers. You'll have to see for yourself.
    So...

Two thumbs down.
    Edit: If you do watch it, just brace yourself. The entertainment industry's fascination with rebooting, retelling, reimaging, and otherwise tampering with what is already a good thing strikes again.
  • I kinda liked it (also, yay for it being on netflix here :P). 

I also think it's pretty early to be ruling trek or not trek. Apparently, we haven't actually met a bunch of main characters yet. We've just seen the stage being set up.

What happens episode to episode following this probably won't be obvious for a few more weeks.
  • I loved the first two episodes and I'm excited to see what is to come.  :hurrah:  I'm a huge fan of Voyager and Cpt. Janeway and her unique crew, and I found Discovery oddly nostalgic. 

Disappointed they didn't show any Jedi though.. :fearful:
  • Sairys said:
    I kinda liked it (also, yay for it being on netflix here :P). 

I also think it's pretty early to be ruling trek or not trek. Apparently, we haven't actually met a bunch of main characters yet. We've just seen the stage being set up.

What happens episode to episode following this probably won't be obvious for a few more weeks.

Fair enough, it could slip into a more routine format. All the rebellious stuff though... Very not trek, very firefly or new "edgy" kirk at best.

I already know how they are going to recover it. 5 credits says the reputation with the baddies post rebelliousness is what saves the character.
  • The Orville was way better. 
  • Jericho said:
    The Orville was way better. 
    I watched the first episode of that the other day, I liked it, but didn't feel as comedic as I'd expect from Seth Mcfarlane
  • edited September 2017
    TNA said:
    Sairys said:
    I kinda liked it (also, yay for it being on netflix here :P). 

Fair enough, it could slip into a more routine format. All the rebellious stuff though... Very not trek, very firefly or new "edgy" kirk at best.

I already know how they are going to recover it. 5 credits says the reputation with the baddies post rebelliousness is what saves the character.
    The ban on rebellious stuff is ironically what the writers of Trek fought against in the earliest stages of TNG, from memory Roddenberry nixed aspects of the pilot because of his "No crew conflict" (except when under external influence) rule from memory.

DS9 and Voyager both built in a workaround with the non-Starfleet people in their main cast. Like, Odo v Quark, Kira v Quark, Starfleet v Quark, that episode with Worf v Odo (and Sisko).

And it's in some of the articles, the crew will come into conflict and will need to work past that. Could even be a more developed version of the backstory of a crew member from an earlier series.

@Tecton can we please get spoiler tags? pretty please
  • @Sairys I knew about the Roddenberry rules, but I didn't know about the TNG trying it/fighting it back then.

As I said, It's not bad. I'm just not sold until they get into a more routine/trek format. I miss having a good space show on tv. I've been avoiding the "news" on DISCO (mwahahahaha!)  after it got all political earlier this month. Hard to judge anything once it hops that train into the public partisan pit.

@Tecton Second vote for spoiler tags. Please.
  • TNA said:
    I'm just not sold until they get into a more routine/trek format.
    Prepare to be disappointed.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/new-star-trek-series-will-abandon-gene-roddenberrys-cardinal-rule/

FYI, the ARS articles are spoiler FULL.

Third on the spoiler tags.
  • bairloch said:
    TNA said:
    I'm just not sold until they get into a more routine/trek format.
    Prepare to be disappointed.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/new-star-trek-series-will-abandon-gene-roddenberrys-cardinal-rule/

FYI, the ARS articles are spoiler FULL.

Third on the spoiler tags.

I hoped this wasn't the case. Still going to give it a shot for a few more episodes. Already have CBS all access anyhow.

Most interesting thing I learned from the article was in this...

Nicholas Meyer is writing a trek independent of STD!
  • Whee

[spoiler] So yeah, I'm wondering if they're trying an amped up Tom Paris storyline with Michael.

We see her disgrace, she gets brought back in by a different captain, and then spends however long having to deal with mistrust for what's she did.

Of course, Saru seems like he's there to be her polar opposite heh.[/spoiler]
  • Sairys said:
    Whee

[spoiler] So yeah, I'm wondering if they're trying an amped up Tom Paris storyline with Michael.

We see her disgrace, she gets brought back in by a different captain, and then spends however long having to deal with mistrust for what's she did.

Of course, Saru seems like he's there to be her polar opposite heh.[/spoiler]
    I agree with Sairys.

[spoiler] I think it'll be her rep with the Klingons for killing T'Kuvma that gets her recruited by Gabriel Lorca (Jason Isaacs).[/spoiler]

STD and DISCO are too priceless of abbreviations to pass up. LOL

• edited October 2017
    To be honest STD (childish chuckle), just seemed a bit rushed, overreaching and too sadly not to the heart and dynamic that made most of us love the space opera that is star trek.  I was still extremely awestruck by the dynamic visuals. If it had been less rushed it was golden....however I am totally in love with the Orville.
  • I absolutely loved it. I'm a fan of sci-fi in general, and while it may not have adhered to the typical Star Trek format, I saw it as a welcome change. I couldn't be more excited for the next episodes!
  • Tecton said:
    Jericho said:
    The Orville was way better. 
    I watched the first episode of that the other day, I liked it, but didn't feel as comedic as I'd expect from Seth Mcfarlane

I have the same sentiment, but it's still providing great entertainment value. I enjoy it way more. 
  • Don't like what they have done to the klingons. Don't like what they have done to Startfleet Its not Trek . Orville on the other hand rocks. 
    And I suppose if you took the trek name from STD you might have a decent show it is just not Trek though. 
  • i really love star trek discovery because of the characters
    There's too much blood in my caffeine system
  • After the latest episode...

I'm gonna go ahead and say pass on it.