Skip to content

What happens at level 100?

or whatever the max level will be if it's different...

Comments

• I was pondering this last night on the Discord. I was speculating that perhaps at "max level" perhaps the player would be granted access to wild kith and/or would be able to transcend into Willspace.
  • Willspace!   <3  To infinity and beyond!
  • It'll definitely be interesting when we find out. This is sci-fi, with the kith being the nearest to magic. Also, it's worth noting that we'll only have up to level 75 at launch, assuming they stick to what they posted on the website. 

A question on that: since (if) we'll be restricted to 75 at launch, does that mean that we're all going to have keep eating and sleeping until you guys come up with something similar to Logosian, or what?
  • I'm not sure I've ever level capped in any MUD or MMO I've ever played in 20 years of playing them. I'll just let you guys/gals worry about this one.
  • Become a Jedi
  • Archer said:
    Become a Jedi
    /vomit
  • I'd like to for once not become a God at level one hundred.
  • How aboit becoming an alive ship?
  • I think it would be flavorful if you reached some sort of "Legendary" status, which maybe conveys some slight mechanical benefits akin to every other IRE game, but doesn't change your race (which is independent of stats anyways?) or your class but might give you access to a few exclusive vendors that sell slightly more powerful gear. I'm thinking Mass Effect style end-game, where you just have a shot gun that shoots people better.
  • @Tecton Spill the beans~!
  • Socksy said:
    I'd like to for once not become a God at level one hundred.

How about a myth?
  • bairloch said:
    Socksy said:
    I'd like to for once not become a God at level one hundred.

How about a myth?
    I'd rather someone's roleplay do that, instead of bashing to 100+. I mean I like incentives for hitting that level; like Aetolia's custom area thing I forget the name of. Stuff like that is cool and fun. But take Achaea for example; dragons are so ubiquitous that they're pretty much rendered unimpressive anymore.
  • You can upload your consciousness to become non-organic, transcending the concerns of those meaningless meat-bags.
    Pedagogical rumors of rumors fuel the cosmos

• Wilmer said:
    You can upload your consciousness to become non-organic, transcending the concerns of those meaningless meat-bags.
    Oooh, I like. Become my own Ishvana... :)
    So, RP wise, it is incredibly costly or whatever to pull this off so only the best of the best get fully "archived" in this way (level cap). It is done to preserve their skill and knowledge for generations.
    Of course, they are still "alive" and even get cybernetic bodies they can control and continue to experience the Sector with.
    Do you have a "server" in one of the societies or do you, like Jane in the Ender series, live across the net?
    Whaddaya think?
  • bairloch said:
    Wilmer said:
    You can upload your consciousness to become non-organic, transcending the concerns of those meaningless meat-bags.
    Oooh, I like. Become my own Ishvana... :)
    So, RP wise, it is incredibly costly or whatever to pull this off so only the best of the best get fully "archived" in this way (level cap). It is done to preserve their skill and knowledge for generations.
    Of course, they are still "alive" and even get cybernetic bodies they can control and continue to experience the Sector with.
    Do you have a "server" in one of the societies or do you, like Jane in the Ender series, live across the net?
    Whaddaya think?
    That sounds awesome. Would it be a purely cosmetic perk or would there be mechanical bonuses assigned in this idea?
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • How do they handle it in other IRE games? Is Godhood/Dragonhood/etc. just cosmetic or more?
    I've never made it there, so I have no idea.
  • In Achaea, you gain the ability to become a literal Dragon (wings, element breath, huge, scales, etc) via DRAGONFORM or something, and it's a race as well as a class in that it has a bunch of abilities but you can't use your normal class at the same time (IE, you can't be a Dragon and still use a sword as a Runewarden, nor can you sketch runes).
  • In Lusternia, you become a demigod, which gives you access to new locations (including a place necessary to initiate an endgame pvp event thing), and you can purchase demigod powers with a resource you begin to accumulate...

Guess we're not getting an official answer on this one
  • Shinonome said:
    In Lusternia, you become a demigod, which gives you access to new locations (including a place necessary to initiate an endgame pvp event thing), and you can purchase demigod powers with a resource you begin to accumulate...

Guess we're not getting an official answer on this one
    I'm betting we're a ways out from an answer on this one.

But, given these responses, I'd go with not cosmetic. When you're in your android form, you get bonuses to combat and physical stuff, as befits a cybernetic being. But your mental abilities are weakened (but not below a normal character) because of the attenuation of squeezing you expansive mind down into that body. In your "cyber" form, as you roam the nets, your physical stuff is way down, but your mental stuff is all up. Giving you advantages to using the markets, research, stuff like that.

Good thing I'm not envisioning this game. The guy who has to code this stuff would hate me.
  • Personally, I prefer customisation and convenience to combat related stuff. 

Demigod has some combat powers and it does enable full participation in one of the PVP activities (you can help at points without Demi), but there's also a bunch of options to pick from to customise your character a bit. 

Like, rather than "Weeky is standing here" you can have "Weeky stands here, encircled by smoke-like gears and cogs that hang in the air, clicking and whirring."
    There are also options for entrance/exit messages, teleports, zaps, shouts, and "types" (like ancestral elfen instead of elegant elfen or w/e)

-----

An idea that's kinda similar could be that getting level 99/100 could give you increased clearance/access on your mindsim somehow, which could enable you to get customisation through AR projections. 

If there aren't plans for something like it elsewhere, then maybe it also enables access to a VR deep web?
    Similar to Aetolia, you could shift there from pretty much anywhere and your body remains where it is.

It could serve as a small meeting place, there could be some conveniences built in, maybe some "deep web hacks" (kinda imagining one where if you need to get to a place in an emergency, you can get a clone ready somewhere nearby, transfer your consciousness, and then kill your now former one #teleporting). It's a virtual environment that's likely heavily tied into meatspace so there's a bunch of possibilities.
  • Hey, I didn't say we couldn't do both! (like I have any say in the matter)
  • bairloch said:
    Hey, I didn't say we couldn't do both! (like I have any say in the matter)
    Heh, it's more I'd prefer not to do both? :P

Increases in health and the like make sense as you level up.

But I don't actually like that a part of PVP is tied up in your level, I also don't really like the concept of potentially significant combat bonuses being part of that reward just because it's pretty easy for that to become the meta and make hitting level 100 more important than it otherwise would be.

If there was combat stuff, would prefer the like... combat/non-combat stuff to not conflict with each other.
    The example here being that a Demigod (or higher) in Lusternia can only have so much "weight" of powers, but that covers purely cosmetic stuff and stuff that has a mechanical benefit.
  • I don't do PvP and have never level capped (that I remember) so I'm clearly out of my depth here.
  • I agree with Sairys there, I'd rather there not be some huge thing like demi god or dragon in Starmourn at some certain level. Eating and sleeping like Logosian, sure, but nothing else. 
  • edited September 2017
    I disagree personally. Reaching 100 is a great achievement and not having to eat/sleep is great, but I'd like there be more of a motivating reward. It doesn't even necessarily have to be flashy or have any great mechanical benefit (particularly for PvP), but I'd like -something- beyond the stats, etc, of reaching a milestone level. (And it doesn't necessarily have to be 99/100 for me.)
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Qitorien said:
    I disagree personally. Reaching 100 is a great achievement and not having to eat/sleep is great, but I'd like there be more of a motivating reward. It doesn't even necessarily have to be flashy or have any great mechanical benefit (particularly for PvP), but I'd like -something- beyond the stats, etc, of reaching a milestone level. (And it doesn't necessarily have to be 99/100 for me.)
    To add to that... having something special at the end gives you new goals. Like... "Oh, I want that weatherproof power so snowstorms aren't such a pain" (Ion storms in starmoun?) etc. Instead of just... "Ok I'm 100, now what?"
  • Shinonome said:
    Qitorien said:
    To add to that... having something special at the end gives you new goals. Like... "Oh, I want that weatherproof power so snowstorms aren't such a pain" (Ion storms in starmoun?) etc. Instead of just... "Ok I'm 100, now what?"

There's an entire rest of the game for people to interact with though.
    If people are rendered directionless once they max out, a system like Demipowers just extends the time until that happens because you can end up with all the powers otherwise we start looking at a system where there would need to be regular expansion and in turn broadening the need to get there. (Lusternia as the example is apparently looking into expanding demigod again)

The goals noted could also be made available to everyone without being gated behind the max level grind so that people can pursue them at any time. In your example, you could have a quest of some level (even an epic) that results in your character acquiring the weatherproof power. So the question would then be why does such a thing need to be incorporated at level 100 other than for level 100 to be a gate on access?

Anyway, I'm not really opposed to some customisation unlocks, some conveniences, and maybe a neat area for them but also I'd much rather that be limited. Realistically though, for customisation it seems that's already available below 100 with the latest blog post, so there could just be some reward options for hitting 100.
  • Sairys said:
    Shinonome said:
    Qitorien said:

There's an entire rest of the game for people to interact with though.
    If people are rendered directionless once they max out, a system like Demipowers just extends the time until that happens because you can end up with all the powers otherwise we start looking at a system where there would need to be regular expansion and in turn broadening the need to get there. (Lusternia as the example is apparently looking into expanding demigod again)

The goals noted could also be made available to everyone without being gated behind the max level grind so that people can pursue them at any time. In your example, you could have a quest of some level (even an epic) that results in your character acquiring the weatherproof power. So the question would then be why does such a thing need to be incorporated at level 100 other than for level 100 to be a gate on access?

Anyway, I'm not really opposed to some customisation unlocks, some conveniences, and maybe a neat area for them but also I'd much rather that be limited. Realistically though, for customisation it seems that's already available below 100 with the latest blog post, so there could just be some reward options for hitting 100.
    I agree with that. The example above CAN be a great quest reward. Hitting 99/100 just another way to reward players. In some ways, I guess I view hitting 99/100 as a sort of extended quest itself. It's just one more way to interact with the game and achieve something. This is also the reason why I wouldn't push for a reward that's way over the top, but I still want it to be meaningful.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
      I'm going on a rampage
  • Sairys said:
    Shinonome said:
    Qitorien said:

a system like Demipowers just extends the time until that happens 
    In the end, everything is just an extension/delay until that happens...

But, funnily enough, that's how modern MMOs have found success. An endgame/top level progression system that gets regular expansions... And, you know, it's not like these things are mutually exclusive. You can have your epic quests, and the endgame progression system both...
  • I will be a Bushraki by lvl 100...