Skip to content

Tell, Who and other stuff like this

In all other IRE MUDs this thingies just like getting the name of the person you talk to was easy to describe how it worked - MAGIC, But what about sci-fi. How will we be able to communcate with each other through endless void of space directly in mind or get info about who is from our race, faction and so on is in realm

Comments

• I'm holding out hope that it can be easily explained away with, say, some ubiquitous device that everyone has, whether handheld or built into them somehow.

This would be favorable because it's also an easy way to lend some mechanically-enforced credence to things like quest tracking, WHO lists, and more.
  • Vex said:
    I'm holding out hope that it can be easily explained away with, say, some ubiquitous device that everyone has, whether handheld or built into them somehow.

This would be favorable because it's also an easy way to lend some mechanically-enforced credence to things like quest tracking, WHO lists, and more.
    Quest tracking is not that hard - just a pen and notebook
  • I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I mean that you can explain things like an in-game quest display with a handheld device, instead of our characters just going "oh I know exactly how many silver ores I turned in"
  • Yes. what I am trying to say that some things are easily explained. But those I already mentioned and some that I forgot are not that easy
  • Communications and the like will be done through the commsphere, which is kind of a next-gen internet.
  • Tecton said:
    Communications and the like will be done through the commsphere, which is kind of a next-gen internet.
    So AOL chat in our brains?

oh dear
  • You all will have mindsims in your heads, which you use to connect to the commsphere.
  • Socksy said:
    Tecton said:
    Communications and the like will be done through the commsphere, which is kind of a next-gen internet.
    So AOL chat in our brains?

oh dear
    You've got mail!
  • So when someone makes you mad in-game and you want to snub them you can LITERALLY just go

• That's mad. In our reality you have to check mail to get spam. But in grim dark future of Starmourn there is no escape as spam comes directly into your brain
  • Luckily, your mindsim is way too good to let spam through!
  • Aurelius said:
    Luckily, your mindsim is way too good to let spam through!
    I was pretty sure we would get some cheap second-hand mindsim made by space China
  • edited September 2017
    Will you have to agree to a two year contract and pay an early cancelation fee should you find a new commsphere provider?

Edit: Also, will there be a monthly charge for your mindsim or will you be able to bring your own?
  • zacc said:
    Will you have to agree to a two year contract and pay an early cancelation fee should you find a new commsphere provider?

Edit: Also, will there be a monthly charge for your mindsim or will you be able to bring your own?
    Neither, but you'd hate to see our data overage rates...
  • edited September 2017
    Browses commsphere for cheap unlock of his IMindSim.

Are there any orgs rebelling against mindsims?
    Also can one min Bitcoins with mindsim?
  • Aurelius said:
    You should so allow spam not too much but a npc ad every so often sort of like "Nuke NutKickers for when you must kick every nut in the room "  and players could go to the npc and place a add . And these ad show up every couple of days on your mindsim. 
  • I actually... don't dislike this idea. :)
  • There ia a lot of useless info flooding our screen, so idea of spam every once in a while is not that bad
  • ...I guess I'll be the one to take the other side. I'm perfectly ok without the extra screen spam. Save it for area messages that can actually add some flavor to whatever your current locale is, please.
  • Yeah gotta agree with Shinonome, there's enough spam as it is in RL, I don't want to have to deal with this in a game as well. Besides, like every IRE game, I am guessing there'll be a market channel in Starmourn that you can turn on and off, there's your place if you want ads.
  • Sweet. Reminds me of the Ansible in Orson Scott Card's Ender series. 
  • Aww you guys are no fun .... 

Is it really the future if you dont get ads directly beamed into your brain ... :D 

• Here's the thing, I think it would be fun/funny the first few times I saw crazy spam ads but once I saw the same one for the hundredth time, I would definitely be sick of seeing it. If we had a randomized selection of thousands of them and they came at a very slow pace, I think it would be fun.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • nah, it's just in your message queue. So when you're working through your "rm" list after logging in, one of them is an ad. That's all. Total immersion helper.
  • I'd still prefer if dev resources were focused on more productive things, personally. e.g., I would get more immersion from room echoes... (And, if you're in a marketplace, some of them might still reasonably be advertising...)
  • griff said:
    Aurelius said:
    You should so allow spam not too much but a npc ad every so often sort of like "Nuke NutKickers for when you must kick every nut in the room "  and players could go to the npc and place a add . And these ad show up every couple of days on your mindsim. 
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite store on the Citadel.
  • Especially if it is advertising for player shops and services. Then it is extra cool, imo. And if you get a well known player to do an ad for your shop? That's just extra sweet. Immersion!