Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

PVE

ArcherArcher Posts: 33Member ✭✭
Now that you guys get to start something from scratch with all you've learned, will the PVE be a lot cooler than the other IRE Muds?
Qitorien
«1

Comments

  • bairlochbairloch Posts: 105Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was totally disappointed in Lusternia when I got my Archdemon and discovered it can't attack mobs. Seemed like such a waste. I don't do PvP, so it was wasted effort. :(
    AtaniiqTNARetherian
  • KhargalKhargal Posts: 65Member ✭✭
    In MKO many attacks worked on mobs
    Ranuth
  • AtaniiqAtaniiq Posts: 39Member ✭✭
    This is great news.  :proud:
  • CookieCookie Posts: 22Member
    Tecton said:
    One thing that we're doing, that I mentioned in another post, is we've removed the differentiation between mobs/denizens and other players. You'll be able to use all of your skills on them (*). This will give you a far wider toolset to work with than our other games, which only have a couple of abilities that you can use.

    (*) You won't be able to instakill mobs in most (but some) situations
    Holy crap, this is amazing! I wonder how effecient it will be, though.. Will afflictions be cured within moments? Is there such things similar to toxin locks? Are y'all making it to where its beneficial to use a variety of skills rather than straight up damaging attacks?
  • ZionZion Posts: 50Member ✭✭
    This is going to be dope. Do you know how awesome it would have been in Achaea if, as an alchemist, I could do freaking CHOLERIC BOMBS on denizens?! Duuuuuddddeeeeeee. 

    OMG.
  • QitorienQitorien Posts: 126Member ✭✭✭
    Cookie said:
    Tecton said:
    One thing that we're doing, that I mentioned in another post, is we've removed the differentiation between mobs/denizens and other players. You'll be able to use all of your skills on them (*). This will give you a far wider toolset to work with than our other games, which only have a couple of abilities that you can use.

    (*) You won't be able to instakill mobs in most (but some) situations
    Holy crap, this is amazing! I wonder how effecient it will be, though.. Will afflictions be cured within moments? Is there such things similar to toxin locks? Are y'all making it to where its beneficial to use a variety of skills rather than straight up damaging attacks?
    Tecton and Aurelius keep saying that combat and skills will be different than the other IREs. I think I remember even reading that afflictions will be different, but they haven't elaborated on any of that sadly.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN

    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates

    Ataniiq
  • ScathainScathain Posts: 27Member
    Khargal said:
    In MKO many attacks worked on mobs
    Quite a few, but still a vast minority.
  • KhargalKhargal Posts: 65Member ✭✭
    Much more then in other IRE MUDs
  • ArcherArcher Posts: 33Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Qitorien said:
    Cookie said:
    <stuff>
    Tecton and Aurelius keep saying that combat and skills will be different than the other IREs. I think I remember even reading that afflictions will be different, but they haven't elaborated on any of that sadly.
    They did also say that there would be momentum and prep, but less customization around the curing system.

    I wonder if the wet-wiring will be akin to a "curing set" and you don't get to change those priorities, then that curing set will have advantages and disadvantages against different classes or something.  Pure speculation... but would allow for some customization without going full on like Achaea did.
    TNA
  • RetherianRetherian Posts: 22Member
    Yeah, I was totally disappointed in Lusternia when I got my Archdemon and discovered it can't attack mobs. Seemed like such a waste. I don't do PvP, so it was wasted effort. :(
    I miss my archdemon...oh Reginald dearest!!
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    Archer said:
    Qitorien said:
    Cookie said:
    <stuff>
    Tecton and Aurelius keep saying that combat and skills will be different than the other IREs. I think I remember even reading that afflictions will be different, but they haven't elaborated on any of that sadly.
    They did also say that there would be momentum and prep, but less customization around the curing system.

    I wonder if the wet-wiring will be akin to a "curing set" and you don't get to change those priorities, then that curing set will have advantages and disadvantages against different classes or something.  Pure speculation... but would allow for some customization without going full on like Achaea did.
    That would be neat, but then what do you do for the general curing sets, unless they know before hand they are fighting a scoundrel like an arena fight or duel? Wouldn't sets be pointless unless you can change on the fly for pk? And then if we are just rotating curing sets isn't that just the same as rotating healing from a mechanical/coding stand point? Replacing one list of stuff with another?
  • RetherianRetherian Posts: 22Member
    Maybe something akin to skills versus feats for all our tabletop champions...
  • SatomiSatomi Posts: 47Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    From what I hear about wetwiring to replace curing, it makes me think of the Midkemia format, where you didn't have to stash a mass of herbs and elixirs.

    For example, you get bashed and attain an affliction 'Staggered', your wetwiring kicks in and you 'Recover' as a result. As opposed to the stuff most IRE people are used to that involve something along the lines of "You are paralyzed, EAT BLOODROOT DEAR GOD EAT BLOODROOT!" (or w/e your IRE mud uses to cure paralysis.)

    Just depends on whether afflictions are specialized or generalized, and if your ability to cure is universal or specific to whatever you're getting hit with... urgh... as long as I don't need to worry about curatives all the time, I'll be fine.

    Edit: Also this: http://forums.starmourn.com/discussion/93/how-does-wetwiring-work#latest
    TNA
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Hopefully we get like "flat-space" pocket storage like cache or rifts, if it is more first aid like.

    @aurelius If you bring back pocketbelts, we will riot.

  • SatomiSatomi Posts: 47Member ✭✭
    I can only say that I'll be upset if they don't give us sheathes or holsters. I love Aetolia but agh, Weaponbelts.

    (I'm kidding, gimme all the Starmourn you can. I wants it)
    TNA
  • ArcherArcher Posts: 33Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    TNA said:
    Archer said:
    <stuff>
    That would be neat, but then what do you do for the general curing sets, unless they know before hand they are fighting a scoundrel like an arena fight or duel? Wouldn't sets be pointless unless you can change on the fly for pk? And then if we are just rotating curing sets isn't that just the same as rotating healing from a mechanical/coding stand point? Replacing one list of stuff with another?

    So yeah! That could be the interesting part.

    init speculation.d.proc

    I'm going to make the assumption that you're familiar with Achaea combat (or something similar) but imagine a life without paralysis and you can't change your curing set mid flight (let's assume changing out your wet-wiring requires downtime).

    Let's say your wet-wiring prioritizes darkshade above all else, because you hate darkshade.  Now I, as the afflictor, have to identify what wet-wiring you're using, but I don't start afflicting with darkshade until much later in my chain, and it is then I realize you prioritize darkshade.  Then I'll use darkshade as my carrier and start to push for a momentum kill having accurately identified your wet-wiring.

    If there are a lot of wet-wiring options this could be a challenging operation to accurately overcome, both from a coding and an identification perspective.

    kill init.speculation.d.proc
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    @archer Now that could be fun, more identification combat. I'm still curious how the no venom/afflictions we are used to in IRE thing is going to work. Is it going to be more anatomically based? Like instead of paralysis you suffer nervous system damage, which at certain levels can cause symptoms like afflictions we know. A little nervous system damage is a stun, more is a paralyze, most is a cripple/epileptic seizures what have you. Mindsims then reduce this afflictions time, say a normal stun is 2 seconds but a mindsims of 12 reduces that to 1.8 or whatever. Now with nervous system targeting wetwiring package that reduces it another 20%, but increasing all immune/lymphatic system heal times by 20%. Immune system damage cause afflictions x, y and z.

    Again speculation. We need more details.
  • uric17uric17 Posts: 25Member
    Tecton said:
    One thing that we're doing, that I mentioned in another post, is we've removed the differentiation between mobs/denizens and other players. You'll be able to use all of your skills on them (*). This will give you a far wider toolset to work with than our other games, which only have a couple of abilities that you can use.

    (*) You won't be able to instakill mobs in most (but some) situations
    i love you, that whole thing of not using my huge skill list on mobs was kind of ruining achaea for me
    There's too much blood in my caffeine system
  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 201Administrator Starmourn staff
    One thing to keep in mind is that while you can use your skills on mobs, it doesn't mean it's efficient in terms of killing mobs to do so most of the time. As a trivial example from Achaea, would it be worth taking the time to give a rat asthma before killing it? Probably not.
  • QitorienQitorien Posts: 126Member ✭✭✭
    Aurelius said:
    One thing to keep in mind is that while you can use your skills on mobs, it doesn't mean it's efficient in terms of killing mobs to do so most of the time. As a trivial example from Achaea, would it be worth taking the time to give a rat asthma before killing it? Probably not.
    But it would be funnnny! :D
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN

    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates

    AureliusTNA
  • SatomiSatomi Posts: 47Member ✭✭
    And that is how the adventures of Asthma Rat! began.
    AureliusQitorienTNA
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    @Aurelius But it WILL have a purpose on occasion or by type? Say giving asthma to a Nabia so he can't smoke his drugs?
  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 201Administrator Starmourn staff
    It might have a purpose sometimes, but generally, there'll be no reason to use most abilities against most NPCs except for the heck of it. It's like paralysing a rat. Sure, you could, but you could also have taken that balance and used a damage ability to probably just kill it instead. 
    JeromTNA
  • RetherianRetherian Posts: 22Member
    Aurelius said:
    It might have a purpose sometimes, but generally, there'll be no reason to use most abilities against most NPCs except for the heck of it. It's like paralysing a rat. Sure, you could, but you could also have taken that balance and used a damage ability to probably just kill it instead. 
    Yes but paralyzing a stronger npc could have its uses
  • JeromJerom Posts: 33Member
    Retherian said:
    Aurelius said:
    It might have a purpose sometimes, but generally, there'll be no reason to use most abilities against most NPCs except for the heck of it. It's like paralysing a rat. Sure, you could, but you could also have taken that balance and used a damage ability to probably just kill it instead. 
    Yes but paralyzing a stronger npc could have its uses
    If it's anything like MKO, the NPC will cure the affliction almost instantly, barely gaining you any time, if any.
  • SairysSairys Posts: 95Member ✭✭
    I mean sure, ratting level is one thing but I think were all wondering about the higher end.


    Just repeatedly hitting the "bash" key over and over is like... soul-crushingly boring to me and why I expect bashing systems are so prevalent.

    I guess I was expecting something a bit like MKO or other graphical MMOs where we'd have stuff we'd want to use to take down mobs, even stuff like... defense stripping abilities make the mob more susceptible to damage for a certain amount of time (or until they are out of combat).
    Avatar by berserkerelf!
  • bairlochbairloch Posts: 105Member ✭✭✭
    Aurelius said:
    It might have a purpose sometimes, but generally, there'll be no reason to use most abilities against most NPCs except for the heck of it. It's like paralysing a rat. Sure, you could, but you could also have taken that balance and used a damage ability to probably just kill it instead. 

    Yes, but using my Lusternian Archdemon to kill the rat sounds like a very good idea to me.
    SairysRetherian
  • SairysSairys Posts: 95Member ✭✭
    bairloch said:
    Aurelius said:
    It might have a purpose sometimes, but generally, there'll be no reason to use most abilities against most NPCs except for the heck of it. It's like paralysing a rat. Sure, you could, but you could also have taken that balance and used a damage ability to probably just kill it instead. 

    Yes, but using my Lusternian Archdemon to kill the rat sounds like a very good idea to me.
    I was thinking meld ticks would be lovely heh
    Avatar by berserkerelf!
Sign In or Register to comment.