Skip to content

Human Age

We have listings for the average lifespan of most player races, but not humans. Now, at first that seems unnecessary, except for the following: we don't know whether the years in question are the same length as Earth years, and we don't know whether the combination of limited gene pool, alien environments, and advanced medical care has left humanity with a lifespan even remotely similar to our own. For comparison's sake with the other races, then, what is the lifespan of a Starmourn human?

Comments

• Figure 100 years.
  • Following on from this, how does Starmourn explain humans not ageing/dying within the lifespan of an IRE character (often hundreds of years). I'm not talking about coming back from the dead (guessing that's 'mindsim, breh'), but on the fact that chars never age. Is it 'gengineering' or some such? And, crucially, why would that differ for our toons but not the average human who dies at around 100?
  • Following on from this, how does Starmourn explain humans not ageing/dying within the lifespan of an IRE character (often hundreds of years). I'm not talking about coming back from the dead (guessing that's 'mindsim, breh'), but on the fact that chars never age. Is it 'gengineering' or some such? And, crucially, why would that differ for our toons but not the average human who dies at around 100?
    From what's been said on the forum and discord and all, coming back from the dead is a combination of the mindsim and cloning. Basically, your brain computer uploads your memories and experiences to a storage server, and when you die and are cloned the last upload is downloaded into your new meat puppet.

As for aging... Well, tied into the above, it could be that the materials for the clone were collected at a specific age, and thus every time you die you're 'reset' to that age, physically. But that wouldn't explain the ones who never die. Genetic engineering is another possibility, weird effects of kith, and so on. Be interesting to see what they say.

Of course, how long our characters are about for would also depend on the real time to game time ratio. Which I can't recall if they've mentioned(they probably have and I've just forgotten. I do that). It could be one to one, which would mean we wouldn't have hundred year old characters.
  • I think they have it as each day in game is an hour IRL.
  • That's a shame. I would personally much prefer a 1:1, or even 1:2 ratio. If you're roleplaying with someone for more than an hour, it always feels a bit awkward explaining have you've just spent multiple days hanging out in a bar talking politics or something.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited April 2018
    I enjoy Aetolia's Week IG - Day RL thing. That said, things happen on a galactic scale so.. you could argue that time doesn't matter as much, since every planet has their own time scale, and while days and nights may happen at a much slower place on the planet depending on rotation and orbit, the Galactic Standard could still be set as a Month IG = Day RL.

(warning: Assumptions in comment.)
  • Given the right medical advances, without even doing anything like rewriting genetic code, humans can live for as long as there is energy in the universe. No one actually dies of old age, that isn't a thing, people die because of diseases caused by a weaken immune system from old age. But medical advances could help keep your immune system healthy and prevent diseases.
  • So instead of living the officially-listed lifespan, we live as long as we continue to bother keeping up with having clones prepared; fits well enough. The listed lifespan is only useful practically for determining when the wrinkles start setting in, without treatment.
  • I am deathly allergic to wrinkles. 
  • edited April 2018
    Malash said:
    So instead of living the officially-listed lifespan, we live as long as we continue to bother keeping up with having clones prepared; fits well enough. The listed lifespan is only useful practically for determining when the wrinkles start setting in, without treatment.

Satomi said:
    I enjoy Aetolia's Week IG - Day RL thing. That said, things happen on a galactic scale so.. you could argue that time doesn't matter as much, since every planet has their own time scale, and while days and nights may happen at a much slower place on the planet depending on rotation and orbit, the Galactic Standard could still be set as a Month IG = Day RL.

(warning: Assumptions in comment.)
    We don't do different day/night cycles or different time scales for planets as night/day doesn't have any effect on anything and would just be confusing.
  • Malash said:
    So instead of living the officially-listed lifespan, we live as long as we continue to bother keeping up with having clones prepared; fits well enough. The listed lifespan is only useful practically for determining when the wrinkles start setting in, without treatment.
    Yep, that's about right.
  • Wait, so I can't retire to the planet Timetogeteverythingdone, with it's 30-hour days?
  • Malash said:
    Wait, so I can't retire to the planet Timetogeteverythingdone, with it's 30-hour days?
    No, but there are no good delis on that planet anyway.
  • edited April 2018
    With gene therapy? Probably a few hundred years? I think people get wrinkles by their 60s. As soon as you can upload and save your consciousness you are good to go until crippling depression sets in.
  • Homura said:
    With gene therapy? Probably a few hundred years? I think people get wrinkles by their 60s. As soon as you can upload and save your consciousness you are good to go until crippling depression sets in.
    60s?!?! You obviously don't work in game development! :surprised: *books a facelift*