Skip to content

Measurements

I don't recall seeing anything on this topic.
How are various measurements going to be handled (eg. length, weight, etc)? Will it be based upon the Imperial units, metric system, or any other Earth-bound measurement system or will it be something different? Will there be galactic standard measurements or will different races have different systems? The more complex it is, the complicated it could be, especially since it becomes difficult to envision something if you have no frame of reference. However something different than what we are used to could be more fun and more immersive.
As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
Jin
VOTE FOR STARMOURN
Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
GrootToday at 2:16 PM
  if there's no kittens in space
  I'm going on a rampage
TectonToday at 2:17 PM
  They're called w'hoorn, Groot
  sets out a saucer of milk

Comments

• On the wiki, races' height is given in cm. Just throwing that out there.
  • Guess the humans convinced everyone of the superiority of the metric system, then?
  • Thanks, I hadn't seen that yet.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • It's mostly metric for distances and sizes and such, though for cosmic distances we'd be more likely to use parsecs (one parsec = about 3.26 light years). That said, we'll probably never quote cosmic distances that way as they will never make sense if we do, since there's nothing even remotely 'realistic' about the distances in Starmourn (because real distances in space are so impossibly large as to be boring as hell). We have different terms of power though, just because watts, amps, and joules are too small and would require too many modifiers on a regular basis (a watt is useless for anything we'd care about as it's so small). We call our equivalents halons, fayad, and kear, though I'm not sure there's a reason for us ever to show fayad. Halons are a measurement of power over time (so linear drives are rated in halons) and kear is a measurement of an absolute amount of energy (used when rating capacitors, for instance).
    Malash said:
    Guess the humans convinced everyone of the superiority of the metric system, then?
    No, but remember that your characters don't see what you see. We're communicating to you, not to your characters. You'll be seeing printed modern English, for instance, but not only are your characters hearing some of that rather than reading it, but they aren't hearing/reading it in modern English. They're seeing/hearing it in Galactic Standard. What you see is a translation, into English, of what is happening to your characters.